• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hatfield

:confused: Hi I live in California.

Two years ago, my husband was beaten by our next door neighbor. My husband has very significant injuries. We hired an attorney that will be representing us, but, unfortunately this attorney never calls and lets us know what is happening. There have been quite a few more incidents, but, my attorney is always unavailable. We received a letter from him saying that our trial date is set for June of this year. We haven't even done depositions yet.

We are also having problems with the Police Department out here. Even on the day of the assault, the police came out, they did arrest the neighbor, but the neighbor was home before my husband even came home from the hospital. This neighbor continues to harrass us. About a month ago, this man took a baseball bat and ran after my husband with it. My husband was able to get into our garage and shut the door, so the man hit our garage door with the bat, many many times. The Police refused to come out.

This man also threw some kind of foreign substance in our drive way last week and we had to have the fire department Haz Mat department come out. They were able to contact my neighbor and he did tell them what the substance is.

Here is my question: Would something like this be terrorism? These neighbors have made it so I can't even leave my own home for fear.

The second part is, I believe the police department is not taking us seriously and I know something is going to happen.

We need help, can someone help us?

M

Mikedani

First off, do not tolerate the police not coming out. Call back, get a supervisor on the phone and demand a response. They must come out and investigate the crimes commited.
You can also appeal to City council members in you community or other city elders. Keep calling official until you get the desired response or commitment.

If you are in fear of the neighbor you can get a restraining order against him, he can then be arrested for each violation.

There is a crime called "Terrorist Threats" if your neighor is making theats towards you and you fear he will carry them out he has violated penal code section 422.

You need to be documenting these incidents each time they happen, preferably with police reports. Photo damage and injuries. Video tape this neighbor in the act if you can.

Coming after your husband with a bat is 'assault with a deadly weapon'. He should have been arrested for that, but at the very least you had a vandalism to your door.

Your attorney should be giving you direction on these matters and taking note of these incidents as they occur. He could call the police on your behalf demand action. You may need to be more persistant with your attorney and or the police.

Good luck.

D

DRUGLORD

CONTACT THE NEWS AND THE MEDIA. THEY'LL BLOW IT SO FAR OUT OF PROPORTION, YOUR COMMUNITY WILL THINK YOU HAVE OSAMA BIN LADEN AS YOUR NEIGHBOR. OR YOU COULD GET A BIGGER BAT AND WHEN HE COMES AT YOU OR YOUR HUSBAND NEXT TIME, OR NEXT TIME YOU FEEL YOUR OR YOUR HUSBANDS LIVES ARE IN DANGER, CRACK HIM IN THE HEAD AND CALL 911. JUST THINK IF YOUR HUSBAND DIDN'T MAKE IT BACK IN THE GARAGE IN TIME, HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH. YOU DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO AND IN SOME SITUATIONS ITS THE LAW TO TAKE WHATEVER MEANS NECCESSARY TO STOP SOMEONE FROM ENDANGERING SOMEONE ELSES LIFE. DON'T WAIT UNTIL ITS TOO LATE

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">