• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor threatened to kill my dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Renfield34

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have a neighbor in an adjoining town home who has repeatedly confronted me about my dog's barking. I've left a voice activated recorder on when I leave home and come home to about 3-4 minutes of barking over a 10 hour period.

Yesterday when she left home my dog barked 4-5 times from a window at the front of the house. I was outside at the time and she said, "I'm going to shoot that dog". I moved the dog into another room and he did not bark again for the rest of the day.

I would have disregarded her statement as she's basically a grumpy lady who also complains about me barbacuing on my patio and the kids playing tag outside on a Sunday afternoon. But later that day the cops show up and say there was a complaint about a noisey dog. He said, "obviously there's no barking now so I won't do anthing". I guess I have two questions:

1. If she keeps complaining and they keep coming and the dog isn't barking at that time, am I in the clear?

2. Can I make a complaint against her for threatening my do?

Thanks!

CdwJava

Renfield34 said:
1. If she keeps complaining and they keep coming and the dog isn't barking at that time, am I in the clear?
She might try to sue you ... and she can continue to call the cops. There is no saying what might happen in the future. You city or state may allow her to sign a citizen's arrest against you for disturbing the peace and that could result in a citation or arrest, or even the seizure of the dog.

I think the voice-activated recorder is a good idea as evidence.

2. Can I make a complaint against her for threatening my do?
Not really ... an idle threat is not a crime. And an idle threat against property (and a dog is property, not aperson) is even less crtiical. If your dog ends up dead, or she makes an attempt to do something to it, then the threat might be criminal.

- Carl

calatty

Most cities have ordinances against barking dogs. If you are keeping your dog tied up outside when you are gone, for all you know it is barking the whole time your are gone. You are creating a nuisance and annoyance, and are depriving her of her quiet enjoyment of her property. She could sue you and you could end up paying her a lot of money. She is probably grumpy because she has had to listen to your dog barking all day. Unless she is nuts, she would probably not be that aggravated over a couple minutes of barking. Stop being selfish and put your dog inside when you are gone. And no, you have no grounds for any legal action against her.

CdwJava

On a note, I have come across a number of people that WILL complain over three minutes of barking, kids riding bikes on the street laughing, and neighbors mowing their lawns on Sunday. I once had a neighbor that called the police when kids were shooting hoops on the street in the afternoon by claiming they were blocking the street ... they weren't, and we lived on a dead side street, and the caller never left his home anyway.

So, while the OP MIGHT be inconsiderate, I have seen many people who really do complain over nothing. I know ... I have to respond to those calls and keep from rolling my eyes.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">