• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor trespassing/burglary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kata3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Recently, my neighbor entered my home while my 16 yr old daughter was home alone and I was next door at my mother's. She called my mother's home and I immediately ran home and caught the neighbor looking through my window. I confronted him and ordered him off of my property, then called the sheriff. As the sheriff was pulling up, he was once again, coming onto my property. I alerted the officer, and she asked him where he lived and instructed him to return to his residence.
I was afraid to press charges because he has mental issues and thought it may escalate if he went to jail. Up until now, his "episodes" have consisted of him singing real loud on occasion. I was never fearful of him. Now we are scared to death.
My question is can I legally send him a letter, demanding that he stay away from my daughter, my mother and myself? I have written the letter and contacted the sheriff, who referred me to the prosecutor. The prosecutor has not responded.
Can anyone advise me on this? Thank you.

The victim's rights advocate from the Prosecutor's office called and suggested I press charges. When I mentioned that the Deputy told me the burglary charge would probably be dropped, she was upset. I don't know what to do. What is the penalty for burglary, anyone??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">