• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Mexico Repo issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

david_banner

OK, here's the situation... I bought (financed) a vehicle in Albuquerque, NM. At some point I drove to Chicago, IL and was unable to return to New Mexico. During that time I became unable to keep up with the payments, and the company I bought the vehicle from turned over the title to a repo company. The repo comapny informed me that it'd be in my best interest to settle the matter (as if I didn't know that already) as it is considered a felony in NM for me to have removed the vehicle out of the state. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, as I know that I cannot make payments I wish to have them just repossess the vehicle. However, the only option that they are giving me is that I must bring the vehicle back to Albuquerque, NM. Can they legally have me do this? I mean, if I cannot afford to make payments then it stands to reason that there's no way I'd be able to afford to get the vehicle back to NM. They know where the vehicle is and I am doing absolutely nothing to prevent them from arranging to get it. What are my options here? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

Sorry, but I cannot find the exact cite.

But, yes, there are in most states felony laws prohibiting you from taking cars with liens on them out of state with the intent of not paying.

You have to go back to New Mexico to get this settled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">