• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nigerian scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steuben

What is the name of your state? NYS

Recently I was the victim of nigerian scam. The phony check was for a large amount, and instead of waiting the 2 day period, the bank cashed it for me, after the manager approved it. (they stated it was a courtesy thing for me as a customer). Now that the check has bounced, the bank is stating I am fully responsible for the amount. I am getting mixed messages on this as I have asked other lawyers and some say I am, some say I am not. I have also been told that I could go bankrupt on this amount. I am interested to know as to any opinions on this matter. I kept all emails including spamcop reports that I ran, ups tracking information, a scan of the original check and the western union records in which shows that I kept nothing extra above that which I was asking for the item I was selling. Jailtime was also mentioned by the bank, but I see this as no incentive since it would cost me my job, thus rendering any payback impossible. Borrowing the money is out of the question. I might also mention that I'm in no financial position to even pay any of this amount back, so any advice, suggestions, whatever would be helpful. I am seeking a public defender since I cannot afford an attorney, but am trying to gather as much information as possible in my defense
thanks

HomeGuru

steuben said:
What is the name of your state? NYS

Recently I was the victim of nigerian scam. The phony check was for a large amount, and instead of waiting the 2 day period, the bank cashed it for me, after the manager approved it. (they stated it was a courtesy thing for me as a customer). Now that the check has bounced, the bank is stating I am fully responsible for the amount. I am getting mixed messages on this as I have asked other lawyers and some say I am, some say I am not. I have also been told that I could go bankrupt on this amount. I am interested to know as to any opinions on this matter. I kept all emails including spamcop reports that I ran, ups tracking information, a scan of the original check and the western union records in which shows that I kept nothing extra above that which I was asking for the item I was selling. Jailtime was also mentioned by the bank, but I see this as no incentive since it would cost me my job, thus rendering any payback impossible. Borrowing the money is out of the question. I might also mention that I'm in no financial position to even pay any of this amount back, so any advice, suggestions, whatever would be helpful. I am seeking a public defender since I cannot afford an attorney, but am trying to gather as much information as possible in my defense
thanks
**A:: all I can say is "you idiot"

divgradcurl

"in no financial position to even pay any of this amount back"

You said the bank cashed the check -- what did you do with the money?

HomeGuru

divgradcurl said:
"in no financial position to even pay any of this amount back"

You said the bank cashed the check -- what did you do with the money?
**A: it is obvious that the writer spent it.

enjay

Isn't the typical Nigerian scam a situation where the claim is that some huge wire transfer is about to take place and a certain percentage of it is needed up front for some reason? My guess is the writer handed over the money to someone who disappeared with it.

Dude, what were you thinking?

HomeGuru

enjay said:
Isn't the typical Nigerian scam a situation where the claim is that some huge wire transfer is about to take place and a certain percentage of it is needed up front for some reason?

**A: yes and I am still waiting for my $25 million. I don't know how long more I have to wait. I even gave them my company letterhead and all my bank account info. I even sent them another money order of $800 to pay for bank processing and transfer fees. Do you think I will get my money soon?

My guess is the writer handed over the money to someone who disappeared with it.

Dude, what were you thinking?

**A: maybe a reverse scam operation.

Skylyn

I think this is one of the Nigerian "auto" scams (which is similar to the original nigerian scams). What they do is troll websites like AutoTrader and send sellers an e-mail with the "I'll give you $5000 dollars for your car but I can only send a $10000 check, you'll need to send $5000 back."

K

knotcops

I was notified by some Nigerian like this. Wanted to give me 15% commission for setting up a joint bank account with him so he could transfer money out of the country. About $10,000,000.00.

I agreed, but on my terms only:
Send me my 15% in cash, unmarked $1.00 bills prior to our first meeting.

Funny thing though, never heard back from him!

S

steuben

In answer to one question, No I didn't spend the money. Obviously you didn't read the original post. I only kept the amount for the item I was selling.

As for the person calling me an idiot, I apologize, I thought this was a professional forum. Oblviously there aren't any professionals here. I'll take this to a REAL legal advice forum.
Have fun kids!
Although I know my own kids are more mature.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It won't matter whether you go to another "legal site" or not. The basic answer will be the same - - you've been scammed.

Using the "search" button at the very top of this page, click on it and then type in Nigeria. You'll see some previous posts on this subject - - probably about 100 - - with some very detailed responses.

You see, your question was not unique, and the plain fact of the matter is that you got greedy - - and are the one left "holding the bag."

Didn't you question why someone from Africa wanted your car, and why? In hindsight, it seems ridiculous, doesn't it?

IAAL

R

relic

just in my defense and as my last post.....

it did not involve a car and i wasn't greedy. i wa merely taken in trying to sell a collection I had so that i could pay an overdue bill. My own stupid fault I know, but when I see that corporation owners have lost millions to the same crap, I don't feel so bad over a couple thousand.
Now you can boot me off again because you people are really ****ing stupid

Steuben

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: nigerian scam

relic said:
just in my defense and as my last post.....

it did not involve a car and i wasn't greedy. i wa merely taken in trying to sell a collection I had so that i could pay an overdue bill. My own stupid fault I know, but when I see that corporation owners have lost millions to the same crap, I don't feel so bad over a couple thousand.
Now you can boot me off again because you people are really ****ing stupid

Steuben

My response:

Nobody "booted you off". But, you're allowed to be "stupid" to think we did.

Does your response make you feel better? I sure hope so - - being that you're the one who's out a few thousand dollars!

Hey, you're the one that was taken in, and outsmarted, by some Pygmy in Africa!

Now, that's REALLY "stupid"!

IAAL

kwt4

what with this?

The man came here for help and all you that reply back was bad remarks. Is there anyone here that can help him with a profressally answer? This is a attorney site. Are there any lawyers out there that can give advise? Those who want to just make fun go to another place. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">