• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-conviction causing problems 20 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wjones5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
In 1986, my parents had me arrested for burglary because I had a party in their house when they were out of town. They let me sit in jail for a couple of days, then I talked to a detective who told me that my parents just wanted me to take responsibility for my actions, and if I would admit I was responsible for a coin collection being stolen at the party, I would be released. Of course, I agreed.
Twenty-plus years later, this felony burglary charge is keeping me from getting a job. I was told by an officer running a pre-employment background check that the charge looked unusual because there is no "disposition" listed, it just says "held or jail."
It hasn't been a problem until just the last couple of years. I can't even get a job through a temp agency now until I get this "straightened out," but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">