• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(non sexual) Harassment law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tad232

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am owed money by an individual from a friendly loan. The individual has told me he has "moved on" and says thats it. He is still being supported by his mother (he is twenty something) so I am in communication with her as well.

I have never been abusive or even intrusive, most of my communication has been email or fax which she can deal with at her leisure. Recently I received an email saying they will not repsond to any more of my "harassing" communication.

So here's the question: What legally constitutes harassment? And does the definition change if one party owes another money?

Thanks

JETX

"What legally constitutes harassment?"
*** harassment
n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands.

"And does the definition change if one party owes another money?"
*** If the contacts were legal attempts to collect a debt, that is not harassment. Simply, the debtor has the option to pay the debt and end the contacts, or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">