• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina and expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rdee

What is the name of your state? Maine

Hello all

I have a question about Expungement in North Carolina

In 2001, I was arrested in North Carolina for driving without a license

Heres the whole story

A friend was taking me from Maine to North Carolina
She was to drive the entire way, but traffic caused us to be tied up for extra hours
she got tired and ask that I finish driving as soon as we reached the North Carolina border

I was driving about 30 MPH, it was about 3 AM on a very dark road, out of no where came flashing police lights
I pulled over , officer approach and I asked, "What was the problem officer ?"
she replied, " Looks like you are drunk driving,
give me your license and registration."

I woke up the car owner/passenger and ask for the registration
I told the officer that I did not have my license because it had expired about 9 months ago.

She asked who was the owner of the vehicle, I told her the passenger was the owner, she handed the registration to the owner, told me to get out the vehicle
Searched me, and arrested me. Told the owner that she had to drive the vehicle, gave the passenger the info to where I was being taken.

First off, I have never drank alcohol in my life, so no way for me to be drunk
I was never given a breathalyzer or any sobriety test

I'm assuming driving while license is expired is arrestable offense ?
An expired license is the same as "having no license" ?

I was fingerprinted, photographed, booked, saw a night judge, told bail was $400
I called a bbondsman and paid the $400 and was released few hours later.

I was given a court date to return to North Carolina
I was contacted by a lawyer to represent me, I authorized them to do so, I just had to pay them $150.00
days later the lawyer told me case was taken care of, and I was refunded my bail money from the Bondsman a week later.

Come to the year 2008, 7 years later, I contacted the law firm to get documents of disposition, they told me that after 5 years they deleted and discard all of their records.
So, I tried contacting the Courts in North Carolina, Raleigh to find out if I have a record on file, all the clerk would tell me is , send $15 for a criminal record, she refuse to tell me if I even have a record or if my name is on file at that court, she refuse to answer as to whether they expunge records.

Im up for a Government position and they request I provide all records of arrests, even dismissals

So I came here to find out
1: Is a driving offense permanent in North Carolina a permanent record ?
Do they expunge minor offense records ?,
How long do they keep record before they expunge ?
How does one get records expunged from North Carolina courts ?

I know in Massachusetts, even if you were mistakenly arrested or someone stole your ID and you were falsely arrested, and the cases were dismissed, the record is still permanent there in Mass.

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

PJ Weber

Expungement just means taking the records from public view, Government entities can and will see them

Records are kept for a long time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">