• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MO3

What is the name of your state? California

I received a letter from a person on probation that is threatning in a way. This person does not exactly say that he is going to hurt me in the letter but it does state feelings of hate in a threatning manner. So confused. I know I am not making much sense but after I read the letter I felt threatened even though this person did not come out and say that he was going to hurt me. What should I do if anything? Should I take it to the police? Is a letter enough proof to get someone in trouble?

rmet4nzkx

MO3 said:

I received a letter from a person on probation that is threatning in a way. This person does not exactly say that he is going to hurt me in the letter but it does state feelings of hate in a threatning manner. So confused. I know I am not making much sense but after I read the letter I felt threatened even though this person did not come out and say that he was going to hurt me. What should I do if anything? Should I take it to the police? Is a letter enough proof to get someone in trouble?
You may access your county's website and download the forms from the self help center for either civil harassment or domestic violence. You may make a police report and obtain a copy and attach to the forms for the restraining order along with any other evidence or declarations from your witnesses. If the person is on probaiton you can also get copies of those court records and or contact their probation officer if they have one. You can also contact the DA office and their victim witness program for assistance.

CdwJava

MO3 said:

You CAN contact the police, but unless the threats are specific and unequivocal, and the threat of harm is imminent, this is not likely a criminal act. However, it might be sufficient for a restraining order.

- Carl

casa

MO3 said:

I'm curious~ Is this the father of your children? If it is, are his "not exactly threats" something along the lines of "If you don't let me see/communicate with my children then....." ??

This is a very important question. You won't be granted a Restraining Order if this person is just venting/voicing upset against you/your behaviors.

What, exactly, did the letter say?

MO3

No, this is someone else. I don't really want to write exactly what this person wrote in the letter but it was pretty hateful. I guess there is not much I can do unless they were to threaten me directly.

casa said:
I'm curious~ Is this the father of your children? If it is, are his "not exactly threats" something along the lines of "If you don't let me see/communicate with my children then....." ??

This is a very important question. You won't be granted a Restraining Order if this person is just venting/voicing upset against you/your behaviors.

What, exactly, did the letter say?

CdwJava

You can always present a copy of it to their probation officer. The probation officer might decide to let their charge know to leave you alone.

Ya never know unless you let THEM know.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">