• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where to post / Home Owner Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rottielover

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello, I was hoping somone could provide me some links so that I can find out about the law's in my State, and more specifically Saint Louis County. I've read several horror stories about people who catch burglers in their home, detain them, then are charged with crimes themselves. Also horror stories about people who trespass, like into a fenced yard, are injured in some way and the home owner is sued.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help protect myself just in case anything were to ever happen. I can't seem to find very much info on how to protect your own rights, much of the info I find seems to favor the criminals "rights"!

Specific questions:

Retreat - I've heard conflicting stories about if someone breaks into your house that you have to try and retreat if possible. Others say that if they cross the "threshold". I don't have any desire to harm anyone, but I own a .45 and if I woke up to someone standing in my bedroom doorway, I don't think they would like me too much. Plus in the bedroom I'd have no where to go except thru a closed class window, and that would prolby kill me!

Dog Law - If someone breaks into your house, and your dog attacks them, is that the same thing as you shooting them? How does this apply if they break into a fenced yard (wood privacy fence with lock)?

Can somone post some links so I can do some reading? It just seems like I read way too much about good honest people, trying to to the "right" thing, then the criminals use the law to hammer them!

Thanks in Advance!

rottielover

Hmmm, More insurance would be a good idea, as an added layer of protection. However, it seems like if a criminal were to get any money for committing a crime against me, that doesn't seem right at all.

CdwJava

Here are references to MO self defense laws:

Chapter 563
Defense of Justification

563.026. Justification generally.
563.031. Use of force in defense of persons.
563.032. Battered spouse syndrome evidence that defendant acted in self-defense or defense of another--procedure.
563.036. Use of physical force in defense of premises.
563.041. Use of physical force in defense of property.
563.046. Law enforcement officer's use of force in making an arrest.
563.051. Private person's use of force in making an arrest.
563.056. Use of force to prevent escape from confinement.
563.061. Use of force by persons with responsibility for care, discipline or safety of others.
563.070 Accidents an excuse for crime, when.

These and other self-defense resources can be found at:

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/missouri

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">