• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Novelty IDs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pirrana561

What is the name of your state? Florida

So my son is making fake ID's out of his dorm room at college. They are printed on platic cards identical to real IDs. I have looked at several of the states, and compared them to their real counterparts and they are almost an exact copy of the face side of the ID's, however he makes up his own backside that look official but in the bottom right of every ID he has inserted this clause "NOVELTY IDENTIFICATION-FOR NOVELTY PURPOSES ONLY-NOT LEGAL FORM OF whatever state IDENTIFICATION" He is actively selling these things at his school and even over the internet, what types of charges does he face if caught? Is this a crime? He tells everyone that the are Novelty ID's before he accepts any money. I know that someone out there is eventually going to try to bring legal action against him. I am just worried he might ruin his life if he isn't careful.

seniorjudge

Q: He is actively selling these things at his school and even over the internet, what types of charges does he face if caught? Is this a crime?

A: Forgery comes to mind. Tell him to brush up on his license plate making skills.:D

CdwJava

If you oppose what he is doing (and he risks his education by doing this) then you need to tell him to either knock it off or pay his own way through school.

He could be charged with a 2nd degree felony if these IDs are too close to the real thing (FS 831.29). if convicted he could be in prison for up to 15 years.

I can't find a FL provision that allows for the production of novelty identification, but the section on forgery indicates that as long as the IDs produced are similar, the maker can be charged and convicted of a felony. Since you say the front is virtually identical to the real thing, he is committing a felony. If the "novelty" disclaimer is only on the back, he can expect to get charged and convicted ... how many people look on the BACK of the ID?!

You need to intervene with junior before he ruins the rest of his life.

- Carl

pirrana561

He could be charged with a 2nd degree felony if these IDs are too close to the real thing (FS 831.29). if convicted he could be in prison for up to 15 years.
Does that just mean that he can't sell the Florida ID in FL, or any ID that resembles its home state? Also the Florida ID he does sell is no longer in production as of 2004. When two cards (one real one fake) are placed side to side you can tell which one is fake as most states have holograms.

What would police need to arrest him for something like this. Is he in trouble if just one person that knows him would testify that he makes them? Or do they need some sort of physical proof?

FlyingRon

Look you can't expect people to realize there are jokes. We got people busted for counterfeiting for trying to pass million dollar bills at Wal*Mart.

seniorjudge

Does that just mean that he can't sell the Florida ID in FL, or any ID that resembles its home state? Also the Florida ID he does sell is no longer in production as of 2004. When two cards (one real one fake) are placed side to side you can tell which one is fake as most states have holograms.

What would police need to arrest him for something like this. Is he in trouble if just one person that knows him would testify that he makes them? Or do they need some sort of physical proof?
Your kid is committing felonies.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

pirrana561

I know its illegal, I am sending him a link to this forum. I just want everyone to drive home the point for him. I can't make him stop..I just don't want him to get caught. What do the police need to bust him?

CdwJava

If he produced or sold these FL IDs in my state, he'd go to jail.

They do not have to be identical in FL - only similar. If they appear valid, they are probably a crime.

In this day and age of terrorism and immigration problems, do you really want your son to be the guy that gave the next 9/11 style terrorist his ID? If the feds find phony IDs on bad guys, they will bend Heaven and Earth to find out where it came from ... and, trust me, the people are selling them to are not going to go to prison to protect him.

You sound as if you are siding with this ... you are not supporting him in this criminal endeavor, are you? Last I heard college was a place to go for an education - an education for a career, not an education in felonious activity. How times change.

- Carl

Grayson

I dont see how someone could see this as not being illegal. If you want to call them Novelty or not, but why would someone need to purchase a fake id if not to use them to gain access to things that they otherwise couldn't be able to.

Your son clearly knows what he is doing wrong whether he writes "novelty" or not on the license doesn't matter. He is enabling anyone out there to use the fake IDs to commit a crime and is just as involved, if not more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">