• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nudity/Sex in Apartment with Blinds Open?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justme10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I live in NYC with my significant other. I should start off by saying that I'm definitely not showing off or trying to be seen by anyone. Rather, we live pretty high up in a building, meaning that there aren't many people who can see into the room. This, laziness, and comfort (the apartment gets very hot very fast when the windows/blinds are closed) has led us to habitually walk around naked and even have sex with the windows open.

There is an office building probably about 100 feet from us that likely sees us walk around naked, and could conceivably catch glimpses of us having sex if they tried really hard. The closest building with a direct view is more than a block away, and from what I can see of those people in their rooms, there's a chance they could make out that we're having sex if they tried really hard, but without binoculars, it's unlikely that they'd be able to see anything all that well. Again, I'd like to emphasize that we're not doing this in a manner so that people do see- we're just being indifferent in a manner that might allow people to catch glimpses of us.

Can we get in trouble for this? If so, where is the line drawn between permissible and impermissible behavior?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I live in NYC with my significant other. I should start off by saying that I'm definitely not showing off or trying to be seen by anyone. Rather, we live pretty high up in a building, meaning that there aren't many people who can see into the room. This, laziness, and comfort (the apartment gets very hot very fast when the windows/blinds are closed) has led us to habitually walk around naked and even have sex with the windows open.

There is an office building probably about 100 feet from us that likely sees us walk around naked, and could conceivably catch glimpses of us having sex if they tried really hard. The closest building with a direct view is more than a block away, and from what I can see of those people in their rooms, there's a chance they could make out that we're having sex if they tried really hard, but without binoculars, it's unlikely that they'd be able to see anything all that well. Again, I'd like to emphasize that we're not doing this in a manner so that people do see- we're just being indifferent in a manner that might allow people to catch glimpses of us.

Can we get in trouble for this? If so, where is the line drawn between permissible and impermissible behavior?
Maybe you should draw the blinds while the boots are a-knockin'

Reminds me of Friends where the gang are spying on someone across the street, in another apartment.

Here is a link to answer your question

New York Laws

If the people a block away complained, they would have to show they can easily see you and your signifigant other in , i.e. without trying hard, using binoculars.

Edit: To prevent legal headaches in the future, cover-up. A peeping Tom could record you in action then share it for the rest of the world to see.

Last edited:

justme10

Reminds me of Friends where the gang are spying on someone across the street, in another apartment.

Here is a link to answer your question

New York Laws

If the people a block away complained, they would have to show they can easily see you and your signifigant other in , i.e. without trying hard, using binoculars.

Edit: To prevent legal headaches in the future, cover-up. A peeping Tom could record you in action then share it for the rest of the world to see.

I appreciate the advice.

Is there something to the intent requirement in that statute? Assuming it's applied as it's written, it seems that the people a block away would have to show not just that they can see me, but that I had the intent to be seen, rather than having a requirement of recklessness where I could be convicted just on the basis of taking these actions with the blinds open...right?

I'm sure you're right that it's better to have the blinds closed in the long run, but I just want to know how high the stakes are if I forget- the difference between internet embarrassment and registered sex offender is significant.

Edit: This concern comes from the fact that I moved here fairly recently after spending my entire life in rooms/houses/apartments where it was impossible for anyone to see in. I guarantee that I'll forget to close the blinds occasionally, even though I agree that I should be closing the blinds.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice.

Is there something to the intent requirement in that statute? Assuming it's applied as it's written, it seems that the people a block away would have to show not just that they can see me, but that I had the intent to be seen, rather than having a requirement of recklessness where I could be convicted just on the basis of taking these actions with the blinds open...right?

That is correct. The people a block away would have to prove that you are intentionally exhibiting yourselves.

Seriously, keep the blinds closed all the time, even if you are fully-clothed.

I would think that the worst that will happen is that a policeman will tell you "hey, folks over there want you to close you blinds"... I would not admit that you know that they can see you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">