• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC- Disobeying park sign 1-03 c2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpyatetsky

This happened in Brooklyn, NY, on the beach.

So me and roughly 8-10 friends were on the beach, not doing much just tanning. Where one person in our group was drinking a single beer, no one else had alcohol. The beach gang "police" rolled up on us, and proceeded to ask the guy with beer for his i.d, which he did not have. Apparently he was giving attitude to the officer (which he was clearly not), and the officer was like yeah okay no because of you, you and all your friends over here are getting summonses and proceeded to take our id's. We literally were doing nothing but minding our own business and relaxing. The police man called his boys, and they came with a squad of another 8 officers to write us all summonses. Which showed on the pink sheet, section 1-03 c2. Are they allowed to this??? What should i do? Should i pay this off or plead not guilty. I was just baffled at how much of turd these cops were, for no reason, there was no reasoning with these guys. Oh and in the end the guy who had the beer didn't even get anything because he had no i.d and the open container was given to another friend who got two summons for something that wasn't his fault.

justalayman

Failure to Comply with Directions of Police Officers, Urban Park Rangers, Parks Enforcement Patrol Officers, or Other Department Employees, or Park Signs.

No person shall fail, neglect or refuse to comply with the lawful direction or command of any Police Officer, Urban Park Ranger, Parks Enforcement Patrol Officer or other Department employee, indicated by gesture or otherwise.

No person shall fail to comply with or obey any instruction, direction, regulation, warning, or prohibition, written or printed, displayed or appearing on any park sign, except such sign may be disregarded upon order by a Police Officer or designated Department employee.

based on the section cited, you either failed to comply with a lawful order of the cop or failed to comply with a posted notice of some sort. Any ideas what specifically is the basis for the summons.

gpyatetsky

based on the section cited, you either failed to comply with a lawful order of the cop or failed to comply with a posted notice of some sort. Any ideas what specifically is the basis for the summons.
I didn't fail to comply with anything, i did exactly what the officer said to do, and i didn't break any laws i was just laying next to my girlfriend tanning.

justalayman

then contest it if you wish. Issuing citations requires a valid basis for the citation to be valid. If you did nothing, then the citation isn't valid.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Any violation of these Rules other than Rule 1-04 (b)(1)(i) shall constitute a misdemeanor triable by the Criminal Court of the City of New York and punishable by not more than ninety days imprisonment or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by both, in accordance with § 533(a)(9) of Chapter 21 of the New York City Charter.

Go to court on the return date printed on the summons and enter a not guilty plea if you wish to contest the charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">