• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Transit ticket -- after hearing, decision postponed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JTtourist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was given a failure to pay fare ticket for $100 in NYC last week. I am out of state so I decided to go to Brooklyn and have a hearing at the Adjudication Bureau.

I had a short hearing with the hearing officer and after waiting a short time for my judgement to be given to me I was told that her decision has been postponed and I will be sent something certified mail.

What I told her was pretty standard and the truth -- I paid for a MetroCard and walked through the open gate that people were going through and use the turnstyle. After getting the ticket I went out and used the turnstyle and paid.

Is a postponed decision commonplace?

At first I didn't think this was a problem but I have recently moved to NJ from Ohio and haven't changed my license yet. To seem more naive, I left my Ohio address on the sheet to the Bureau.

I am wondering what they would be checking on and if me not living at my old address would be of any concern to them or if they even checked up on that info. I don't want that issue to bite me in the behind!

Any knowledge of the hearing officer's decision process is appreciated! I was just hoping to get the ticket knocked down a bit.

You Are Guilty

They are going to send the decision to the address you provided. If you provided out of date info, you bet you ought to be concerned. If you gave updated address info and are just worried about the timing, relax, it's NYC. Everything it does is slow. You can call TAB for status updates if you really can't sleep at night: (347) 643-5805.

Good luck.

JTtourist

Thank you.

The info is slightly outdated. I didn't want to give a different address than what was on my license.

Would it be best to call and have the mailing address changed?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, do you still get the mail sent to the old address?

If not then you'd better call and update your address ASAP.

Your decision was not "postponed" - it's called reserving judgment. It's primary purpose (I believe) is to avoid arguments and ranting and raving in the court after the decision is handed down. Normally you would expect to receive the decision in the mail within 6 weeks. The judge basically decided at the end of your hearing, you just get notified by mail.

BTW, going through an open gate with everyone else, i.e. following the crowd, is not a defense. You have probably been found guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">