• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

O/T Mourning in Dallas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Sorry for being off-topic, but ...

Last night, July 7th, 2016, marked what is being touted as the deadliest attack on American law enforcement since 9/11. At last count (as of 0419 hours on 7/816) there were 5 dead police officers and 6 more wounded with at least one of them in critical condition ... and, at least one wounded civilian.

I cannot begin to explain what I feel right now. But, I KNOW what they are feeling in Dallas. I have been there ... in those same shoes ... asking "why?" when a friend was murdered. Yes, murdered. This was no act of protest, no act of resistance, no political statement, no accident - this was evil incarnate. A group of men and possibly a woman set out to commit murder in a manner that was an assault not just on the officers of the Dallas Police Department and the Dallas Area Regional Transit Police, but also upon the symbol of law and order in this country. While tarnished by statements of political expediency without facts, and maligned by too many in the media, the badge/shield/star is still a symbol of order. Without it, there is only chaos.

Regardless of one's opinion of the assorted use of force issues roiling about the country, THIS assassination cannot be allowed to stand and must be soundly condemned and castigated for the evil it is. Sadly, there are far too many gleeful posts in social media, statements of understanding, and even accolades for the perpetrators of this heinous act. I fear where this attitude might lead. I suspect it will lead to greater chaos as officers retreat from confrontation and conflict for fear of termination or prosecution and criminals are emboldened. I fear it will lead to a continued reduction in the number of officers on the nation's streets and their retreat from the proactive policing that prevents crime rather than the reactive policing that simply reports it. I fear that more calls for service will go unanswered and the frustration of the public - the law-abiding public - will grow weary of the chaos and demand a change. I fear for what form that demand might take.

In all, one thing stood out in the images I saw last night. When shots rang out and hundreds fled away from the gunfire, one group ran towards it: The Dallas PD. For even as the protesters decried police brutality and castigated the wearers of the badge, those bearing the badge with honor and having pledged to serve their community, ran towards the threat, engaged it, and brought the carnage to a conclusion.

To the Dallas Police Department and the DART, thank you. To the members of those agencies, the friends and families of the officers, to the community, I offer my condolences. To my brothers and sisters' whose families will be learning only this morning of the fate of their loved ones, I offer my prayers.

A PART OF AMERICA DIED

Somebody killed a policeman today
And a part of America died...
A piece of our country he swore to protect
Will be buried with him at his side.

The beat that he walked was a battlefield, too,
Just as if he had gone off to war;
Though the flag of our nation won't fly at half-mast
To his name they will add a gold star.

The suspect that shot him will stand up in court
With counsel demanding his rights,
While a young, widowed mother must work for her kids
And spend many long, lonely nights.

Yes, somebody killed a policeman today...
Maybe in your town or mine,
While we slept in comfort behind our locked doors A cop put his life on the line.
Now his ghost walks the beat on a dark city street,
And he stands at each new rookie's side:
He answered the call . . . of himself he gave his all,
And a part of America died...​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Memory :
Deputy Nicholas S. Bryant
Lee County, Sheriffs Dept, Ft. Myers Fl.
April 12, 1972 - April 19, 1998.​

May God bless and protect them all.

- Carl

TigerD

Along with churches, police form the bones of a community. Some communities have problems with policing and most communities have serious issues with the criminal justice systems flaws and failures. But the intentionally breaking the bones of our communities, our lifestyles, our nation, by murdering police officers is reprehensible and beyond forgiveness by man.

Every reasonable person, who loves their family and wants their children to be able to live in peace and safety, must be repulsed at what our nation is dissolving into. The causes and solutions are irrelevant while five families undergo the mourning of the senseless loss, and so many more of us stop in shock and horror. There will be time to discuss problems and solutions and argue. But there is no discussion, no argument that will ever excuse the slaughter and senseless violence that occurred on 7/7.

My flag is at half mast. And I dread the coming months.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Amen.

Unfortunately, there has been a pattern of support of anti-police feelings coming from the highest levels of government. I won't say any more about that as I don't want to turn this into a political debate.

Mass_Shyster

Carl, I'll admit that I often have issues with the actions of law enforcement, but today is not the time to argue those issues. Today is a time to pray for those who lost friends and family last night.

It is also a time to pray for those who will go back out tonight to protect us. Let them be safe.

- Steve

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">