• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obstruction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnSco

I live in New Jersey and was charged with Obstruction this past weekend. My friend got into an altercation at a bar and was tackled out into the street. Cops immediately put both him and the other party in cuffs. I was explaining to the police officer what happened and he said if I did not be quite he would arrest me for obstruction. I was somewhat intoxicated so I kept trying to plead my friends case. I was then arrested for obstruction and now have a court summons for June 25th. I have no criminal record and have not previously been in any trouble with the law. I called the court today and asked what I should do and the clerk told me that if I talk to the prosecutor he might drop the penalty to a violation of a municipal ordinance which would just be a fine and nothing would go on my record. Any suggestions on anything I could do?

Thanks,
John

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">