• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obstruction of Justice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicag0

A friend of mine was being arrested for disorderly conduct at an amusement park in Georgia (the park had closed early due to rain...we had driven 18 hours to come to the park on spring break, and we were demanding refunds. When we were denied, my friend made some vulgar statements). The cop came up behind us (we were walking away) and grabbed him. Instinctively, I grabbed my friend's sleeve and the cop immediately pushed me full force, almost to the ground.

A few minutes later, I was arrested and charged with obstruction. I have a completely clean record...am only 18 years old, in the Honors College at my University and on the Deans List. I don't believe I was at fault. Also, the officer lied in his statement, claiming that I was warned to let go of my friend's sleeve and refused. That was his justification for pushing me...thing is, I was never warned of anything.

Biggest problem is that I'm from Michigan and my trial is in Georgia, where the incident occurred. I have no idea what to do and ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

HomeGuru

A friend of mine was being arrested for disorderly conduct at an amusement park in Georgia (the park had closed early due to rain...we had driven 18 hours to come to the park on spring break, and we were demanding refunds. When we were denied, my friend made some vulgar statements). The cop came up behind us (we were walking away) and grabbed him. Instinctively, I grabbed my friend's sleeve and the cop immediately pushed me full force, almost to the ground.

A few minutes later, I was arrested and charged with obstruction. I have a completely clean record...am only 18 years old, in the Honors College at my University and on the Deans List. I don't believe I was at fault. Also, the officer lied in his statement, claiming that I was warned to let go of my friend's sleeve and refused. That was his justification for pushing me...thing is, I was never warned of anything.

Biggest problem is that I'm from Michigan and my trial is in Georgia, where the incident occurred. I have no idea what to do and ANY help would be greatly appreciated...
**A: well, you need to go to GA for the trial. Next, did you ask your parents to help you hire an attorney?

chicag0

No, my dad already bailed me out and I know that was all the money he had. He would not be able to afford an attorney.

Also, I am looking into hiring an attorney in GA to make my court appearances (both the arraignment and the actual trial) for me. Would that be a good idea? Because I really cannot afford to hire an attorney AND travel there. :(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, my dad already bailed me out and I know that was all the money he had. He would not be able to afford an attorney.

Also, I am looking into hiring an attorney in GA to make my court appearances (both the arraignment and the actual trial) for me. Would that be a good idea? Because I really cannot afford to hire an attorney AND travel there. :(
You need to travel there AND ask that counsel be appointed if you are indigent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">