• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Off Duty Cop--Writing Citations??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CBoz29

What is the name of your state? WI

I had an incident happened the other day in my parents neighborhood. After my husband and I left my parents house, we were driving down the street and had to come to a complete stop in the middle of the road because 2 teenage girls were in the middle talking to a car parked at an angle...basically blocking the whole road.

The man in the car threw up his arms at me and said "Go around". There was nowhere to go! Finally the girls moved out of the road and I had to swerve around this man's vehicle at which he said "What the f*&^ is your problem?" Which I responded "F*&^ off!". After I swerved around his vehicle I then had to swerve around another car that had their door open.

Anyways...my husband and I got home. There were 5 hang up messages on our machine! 5 minutes go by and we receive a phone call. It just so happens that the guy in the car that I told to F*&^ off was an off-duty cop that lives in the neighborhood. He was very cocky and arrogant on the phone (which he is known for in the neighborhood) He proceeded to tell me that he is issuing me a citation for disorderly conduct, unless I gave him a good reason as to why I said what I did. I told him that he was blocking the road and that he swore at me first! He denied that he said anything!

So, he said that he would be stopping by my house in 3-4 days with the citation. Here's my questions:

1. I thought off-duty cops couldn't write citations, don't they have to notify an on-duty cop???

2. Since when do cops hand deliver citations to your door?

3. Shouldn't he be ticketing himself then since he swore too? LOL

4. Swearing can get you a disorderly conduct citation????

Thanks for your help!

L

loocpoc

1. Yes off duty cops can issue citations and make arrests for violations of state law and I believe county ordinances in WI. Im unsure of where you live but usually most departments require that an on duty officer issue the citation.

2.Whenever they choose. They can mail or hand deliver it to you.

3.Complain to his department and your county district attorney/ municpal attorney who handles prosecutions. They can issue him a citation based upon his actions.

4.Yes, if it causes a distrubance or nusiance.

M

Mari8247

My brother is a cop and so is my best friend and YES they can issue citations off duty, because there is no such thing as an off duty cop. You are on duty 24-7! I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">