• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio has funny way of teaching lessons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1redwing1

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My Daughter was caught shoplifting with two other girls. According to the city police one girl was carrying the bag with the items all three were trying to steal. If they charged the one girl alone it would have been a felony, so they split it three ways, since all were involved equally. So my daughter ends up getting charged with trying to steal about $240. I get a letter from a law firm representing the store she was caught at. "Pursuant to Ohio Rev. Code Ann. Sections 2307.6, 2307.61, and/or 3109.09 they may proceed with a civil penalty claim." I can settle this matter now by paying $2,228.61. My wife and I immediately called their office. According to them Ohio Law does not 'split' the shoplifted amount and this amount is 3x the total of all 3 girls. I f this is true, then why are they not charged with a felony? My daughter was 2 weeks shy of 18 when she was caught. I have done everything in my power to raise her right. So just how does she learn if I have to pay? What happens if I dont? Why wont they bill her for this? Am I in a losing battle where the one who obeys the law and does what is right is yet again screwed by our fair and just system?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">