• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Criminal Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

christo_911

I'm a 35yo male. I've recently relocated to So. Florida from New England. I grew up in several New England states, and landed in legal trouble in nearly every one. I recently went to the Florida DMV to swap my valid VT drivers lisence for a Florida DL. They ran my name (or social sec #, I suppose) and informed me that I was under suspension in Mass. from 12 years ago. I thought I had cleared up all my past legal issues, but apparently not. I inquired w/ the Mass. courts, and was told of my offenses. 1. Reckless Endangerment, and 2. Speeding. I was informed that the Reckless Endangerment charge is criminal (rather than civil) and that I've also accumulated a Failure To Appear charge (criminal) as well. I was told I could probably deal with the speeding ticket from Florida, but that I would have to appear to deal with the criminal charges. This means I would have to travel to Mass. and turn myself in (which is right now LAST on my list of "things to do"). The charges stem from drukenly driving through someones "fenced" property 12 years ago. I remember the incident (kinda). I was not caught the night it happened, but a day or two later the cops pulled me over and matched some broken lenses from "the scene" to my vehicle, hence the charges.
I really had no idea that this issue was still pending. In fact, years later, I received a Vermont drivers lisence and never thought about it again until this. My question is: what can I do from here?? Is turning myself in to the Mass authorities my only solution? What about the "Statute of Limitations"?? Does this apply here? We are now in an age where almost every state in the country is connected via computers, and this is going to haunt me until I clear it up. Any ideas would be appreciated!

calatty

The statute of limitations only limits how long the state can take to charge you. Once you have been charged, the warrant is valid for as long as they want to keep it in the system. I don't know of any way to deal with criminal charges other than to be present - that is for your own protection. You should contact a Mass. criminal attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">