• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old roommate steals personal belongings with accomplice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alicia_haller

I used to live with my old friend. He ended up getting into drugs and started hanging out with people that I did not want to be around or have in my house. I paid for all the bills and rent. When this began to happen, I went and stayed at my girlfriend's house for the last month of the lease because it turned into a very tense situation. Then when I went to move my belongings out of the apartment before the lease was up, I learned that not only was he allowing this person to live in the place I was paying for (after I very specifically told him this person was not allowed to be there) but they had moved his stuff out along with a few very expensive items as mine. This would include a $2000 couch, a $600 dollar phone and about $500 in stereo equipment. I have all the receipts for these items and pictures of them. I also have multiple text messages with him admiting that he took them. He is stating that he is holding these items as collateral until I pay him money that he claims I owe him. I can prove that I don't owe him any money and at this point, I just want my belongings back and I want to press charges for theft on both him and his friend. I also have text messages with him stating that his friend intended on pawing all of my belongings but my old roommate stopped him from going "that far". If I know he has my items at his new place and I know where that is, also I can prove it, what can I do to get my things back and press charges on both of them?

quincy

I used to live with my old friend. He ended up getting into drugs and started hanging out with people that I did not want to be around or have in my house. I paid for all the bills and rent. When this began to happen, I went and stayed at my girlfriend's house for the last month of the lease because it turned into a very tense situation. Then when I went to move my belongings out of the apartment before the lease was up, I learned that not only was he allowing this person to live in the place I was paying for (after I very specifically told him this person was not allowed to be there) but they had moved his stuff out along with a few very expensive items as mine. This would include a $2000 couch, a $600 dollar phone and about $500 in stereo equipment. I have all the receipts for these items and pictures of them. I also have multiple text messages with him admiting that he took them. He is stating that he is holding these items as collateral until I pay him money that he claims I owe him. I can prove that I don't owe him any money and at this point, I just want my belongings back and I want to press charges for theft on both him and his friend. I also have text messages with him stating that his friend intended on pawing all of my belongings but my old roommate stopped him from going "that far". If I know he has my items at his new place and I know where that is, also I can prove it, what can I do to get my things back and press charges on both of them?
In what state did these problems with your old friend arise?

xylene

When you contacted the police and reported your property stolen, the circumstances, who has it, and where it currently is, along with the information on your friend's drug use and his friend's drug dealing, what did they say?

Alicia_haller

Police

I have not yet contacted the police because I was trying to give him a chance to give it back without involving the police. This happened a month ago and now it's apparent that I will need to involve the police. I just wanted to know if I have a case or can press charges before I go to the authorities.

eerelations

You can't press charges, on anyone, for any reason, at any time, ever. Only the police can press charges. So if you don't want to contact the police, then there's really nothing you can do about this.

Alicia_haller

I understand I can't press charges and I need to go to the police, I just wanted to make sure that I have a case and the police would assist in getting my items back.

eerelations

We don't have crystal balls so have no way of knowing whether or not your local cops would be interested in taking this case. The only way you can find out is by calling them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">