• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open Carry in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

natas0733

i plan to carry my handgun on my person exposed at all times in california. Yes it is legal to do so. I am just wondering if i may loan my other handgun to my friend to open carry as well per pc 12025(g). as i read it i think it is legal i am just not sure if there is another law somewhere perhaps that i do not know about that would prohibit this. I know that i may open carry per pc 12025(f).

CdwJava

i plan to carry my handgun on my person exposed at all times in california. Yes it is legal to do so. I am just wondering if i may loan my other handgun to my friend to open carry as well per pc 12025(g). as i read it i think it is legal i am just not sure if there is another law somewhere perhaps that i do not know about that would prohibit this. I know that i may open carry per pc 12025(f).
Your friend should be fine.

Provided, of course, that there is no other prohibition against him carrying a firearm and they are unloaded.

And depending on where this is done, be prepared for police contact to inspect the firearm with some frequency.

natas0733

i do so hopefully expect to be contacted by the police if only to educate them on the legality of our actions!

CdwJava

i do so hopefully expect to be contacted by the police if only to educate them on the legality of our actions!
They may well know the legality of your actions, but they also have a job to do.

Agencies throughout the state - but mainly in southern California - have gone through a goodly amount of updates on these laws in the last year since a small group has been pushing the open carry thing. It really has not been that big a deal. Most the cops you are likely to encounter will check your weapon and ID, and then be on their way.

I live in a rural part of the state where there are many times more guns than people, yet no one here feels any great need to openly carry. Personally, i think it's more for show than any true sense of self protection. But, if that's what you want to do, you have the legal right to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">