• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open Container

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

metsln2001

What is the name of your state? New York

Recently got a summons in NY, for an open container, had the beer in a brown paper bag, other people I was with had beer in cups and did not get a ticket. Can anyone please clarify what an open container is? Did they not get a ticket, because they had cups not a bottle? Thanks for your help

HomeGuru

metsln2001 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Recently got a summons in NY, for an open container, had the beer in a brown paper bag, other people I was with had beer in cups and did not get a ticket. Can anyone please clarify what an open container is? Did they not get a ticket, because they had cups not a bottle? Thanks for your help
**A: you are a real winner, drinking in public and your friend gets arrested for pot.

M

metsln2001

No I was not driving, it occured outside of shea stadium, I think I was a victim of profiling because I am only 21 the police thought they could get me for open container and being under the legal age. I have pictures of other people infront of the police with open containers, do you think this could be grounds to dismiss my summons? Also should I file a complaint with the NYPD? Thanks for all your help

VR_Hunter

You have no case. You were busted and must deal with it.

Analogy: Everyone is driving 85MPH on a 65MPH highway. Police pull you over and give you a ticket. Why? Because for some reason you did something different than everyone else on the road and caught his eye. Maybe it was the color of your car. Was everyone else speeding? Yes. However, only the person who got pulled over gets the ticket for 20MPH over the speed limit. Will it stick in court? Sure it will.

So you were among others who were drinking. You got caught, they didn't. That is the point. Suck it up and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">