• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open Container

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmac15

What is the name of your state? New York

I received a ticket for an open container on a public sidewalk I was wondering what the deal is with the ticket? Is it just a fine and then its done with? Does it go on my record? Anything will helps thanks.

seniorjudge

The deal is it is yet another symptom of your alcoholism...remember all those other times you got in trouble due to booze?

Are you ready to help yourself yet?

jmac15

Yes i realize it is my fault and that it does need to stop but i was wondering if anyone had advice or information on it?

Plea by Mail Program

Effective July 1, 2004 individuals who receive a Criminal Court Summons citing a violation of Section 10-125 (2b) of the N.Y.C. Administrative Code- “Consumption of Alcohol on Streets Prohibited” ( also known as “Open Container Violation” or “Consumption of Alcohol in Public”) are eligible to plead guilty and pay a $25 fine by mail. This program is available to persons charged with this petty offense only, and only if no other summonses are issued to the individual at the same time.

In order to plead guilty by mail you must send the following:

the plea form, completed and signed
the summons you received
check or money order for $25 made payable to NYC Criminal Court (DO NOT SEND CASH) with the summons number written on the payment
The above items must be mailed within 10 days of the date that the summons was issued, to:
N.Y.C. Criminal Court
P.O. Box 555
New York, NY 10013-0555
If you plead guilty by mail, you do not need to appear in Court.

jmac15

So if I were to send it i would pay the 25$ and that would be the end of it? Anything on my record?

So if I were to send it i would pay the 25$ and that would be the end of it? Anything on my record?
I am guessing it will since its considered a criminal offense (least it says a criminal summons)...but I would call them and ask them. Did you notice that this was for NYC?

jmac15

Yes and i am not in NYC so i will have to talk to someone about that. my ticket says on the top Complain/ Info and states my name etc. it says i am charged with open Container violation of chapter 4 section 5 subdivision A of the code of the village of Brockport. And then it says to appear in court on the date.it does not say criminal court anywhere. Not sure if that matters any though?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">