• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open Container PBJ Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nystc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, sentencing done in Delaware

Before I start, I would like to thank you for your assistance in advance.

I was "arrested" during my college's homecoming for having an open container in a public area. I put arrested in quotes because I was never handcuffed or brought to the station, but I was still served with the paperwork. Anyway, I went to court and plead guilty to the crime and was granted Probation Before Judgment (PBJ) for a period of one year - so the judgment was deferred for one year. During the one year period of PBJ, I did not have any more encounters with the police and I was to be "discharged of my conviction" as of the one year anniversary of my trial date (according to the paperwork I received).

Since there is still a record of this occurrence on my record, I am interested in Expunging my record. I have already printed out the pages for the expungement, but I am unsure what to fill out in a few places. I have all the original documents from my "arrest".

I will go through the questions I have page by page:

"Affidavit of Mailing":

--I plan on mailing in the form & do not know what to write on the line "Civil Action No." or "Affiant".
--Is the Civil Action No my "Case Number"?
--Is Affiant where I'm supposed to sign, if not, who signs there?
--Also, do the two dates have to match (Notary Public & Affiant)?

"Petition for Expungement of Criminal Record":

Page 1:
--Where it asks to "List All Charges", If I was charged with another offense but it was dropped at court, do I have to disclose that here?
Page 2:
--Item #6: "The Disposition of the charge(s) previously listed is as follows:" -- What do I write here? -- How/Why I was arrested?
--Item #7B: There is a line to fill out regarding the "Arresting Agency", would that be the court or the police department?

"Order":

--In the line "Arrested By", do I write the officer's name or the police department?
--How would I complete this sentence:
"...and it appearing that the charge(s) (were/were not) transferred to the Superior Court and assigned criminal action numbers ___<??>____ and it appearing that the charge(s) were disposed of as follows: ___<??>>___ ..."
Do I circle "were not" transferred...?

Thank you again for your advisement.

dude?????? would you do heart surgery on yourself if you needed it?

then do not try and do this by yourself--- judges are lawyers and when you represent yourself through a lawyer it is MUCH better for you.

BUT...... if you must go it alone -- call the clerks office and see if they will answer those questions maybe even ask to speak to the judge -- 99% chance that you probably will not get very far with this method -- good luck,,,

nystc

I really don't think it is neccessary to pay for a lawyer $100 (or much more) for a 3-4 page thing that I have all the information I need for. The only reason I can't fill this out on my own is because of the legal language that my 2 business law & 1 intro to law classes didn't cover. I also have a not guilty verdict on my record, I just want that to not be on there at all. I would ask the lawyers I know to help me with this, but I don't have much time during their business hours (since I work in & commute to NYC every day). Also, the majority of lawyers I know are in Delaware - I did some volunteer consulting work for the Legal Services Corporation of Delaware & became friendly with everyone there over the 3 months I was with them.

If someone could either point me toward a good instructional site for this or answer my questions, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">