• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opening someone else's mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisan23

What is the name of your state? Utah

Ok, so for some reason or another, a bill adressed to me got sent to my husbands dad's house. His dad's wife (I've met this woman once over 3 years ago) opened it, then called my husbands ex and told her the details of the bill. My husbands ex, however, has started getting along with us better and called to let us know that his step mom is opening our mail that gets sent there.

Now, I have NEVER lived in that area. This woman openly admitted that she knew it was my mail before she opened it, but opened and read it anyway. Is there anything I can do? I know it's a federal crime to open mail that isn't addressed to you, but what can you do when it actually happens to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">