• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OREGON-larceny by mentally ill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GullableInOrego

I was recently COMPLETELY led astray by a woman claiming to be pregnant w/twins and in desperate need of baby items. There was an official police report filed when I discovered her FRAUD!!!! (talk about being gullable--she was SOOO sophisticated in the level of details surrounding her "story" and her partner was just as good, down to having me call her in her hospital room "after the babies were born" which really was a hospital room, but she was there for something other than baby delivary!) Anyway, the police said they could not prosecute due to her being mentally ill. I just found an ad our our local craigslist listing all of the stuff I "gave" her with her name and phone #. A complete match! So, the question is, can I insist that the police escourt me to the apartment and demand the return of my items?? I understand not prosecuting, but what about property retrieval from the mentally ill???

Kane

If you gave her some stuff because you felt sorry for her, I don't know that that's a crime. Even if it is, it's up to the police to decide what to do about it. If they've declined to help you, your next step is to hire a lawyer. If the value of the stuff isn't worth the cost of suing, you probably ought to just let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">