• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other-State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tramika

So I am sorry if this is in the wrong section of forum, I'm unsure of where this topic would fit.

So this is about Marcy State Correctional Facility, in Marcy NY, Oneida County.

Here is what I am asking legal advice about:

My little brother is in Marcy State Correctional Facility, he was walking to chow(meal time) and as he was walking there, someone came up behind him and with a scalpel and slashed him from his neck all the way up to the corner of his mouth. He was stitched up, but without being consulted on where he will be placed, meaning away from the prisoner who slashed him, he was placed in Involuntary Protective Custody. Which is the wrong decision as they did not inform him of where they were placing him and he was willing to go into the Protective Custody within the grounds of the prison. The Involuntary Protective Custody system basically punishes the victim, they are placed in the "BOX" essentially a cell(cage) while chained and handcuffed, no outside contact, cannot call his family to tell them what has happened, no contact of any kind, you eat in the cell you use the lavatory within that cell and no showers (they denied him hygiene), and no library privileges, no slip to fill out and get back into the prison population, no letters except for getting to pick one and you can if the security will allow to reply to that one letter. They threw away most of his clothing,and all his books and other things within his cell, and he was also not informed of this while in the cage. He was not allowed proper clothing as at night it gets really cold since the security opens the windows despite knowing the weather conditions. This one CO, Wiggins verbally abused him daily, and slander as well as other types of harassment even before he went into the cage. He was specifically told "We'll have you in here as long as we can, since you a snitch, right snitch,you can't tell us who did it, can you snitch". They would at times forget he is in the cage, purposefully, and when he had a doctors appointment, he would once again be chained and handcuffed to see the doctor, who in turn told him he needs to keep the area clean as it can be easily be infected due to the depth of the slash and location being near his jugular and mouth. After weeks within the cage they transferred him to another building within the grounds, without much of his clothing except for a couple of boxers, a couple of long sleeve shirts, a couple of socks and everything else he had received through his family has been thrown away. They are still withholding funds and mail from him. He is no longer seeing the doctor, and he has ran out of the ointment he was given, he needs his funds in his account to buy more A&D ointment as he does not want to get an infection. Other than this the security guards have left him alone for now but he still is not receiving the aforementioned items or rights.

So after, I hope you read this through completion, does my brother have a case against that prison? or Is he just one of many who face this abuse through correctional facilities and will just have to get through/over this as he finishes his term? Also he was charged and is serving a 3 year sentence for possession of stolen items totaling or more than $1000, is what I was told.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The bottom line is you have no idea what happened for sure since you were not there. I wouldn't doubt that your brother left out some details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">