• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outstanding Fine For sell of alcohol to a minor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mangokate

Florida.:eek:
How to handle this situation ?
Person has an outstanding fine from 2002 for sale of alcohol to a minor (it was a sting) , this person now discovers there is a warrant and this situation is preventing them from starting at a new job (person currently was working at a bussiness where they did a background check and everything was fine) .There is a new baby and this person cannot afford to spend time being taken to jail/police station/court room.How can they take care of this problem? (new job requires some sort of paperwork that says that it has been or is being taken care of) .....

seniorjudge

mangokate said:
Florida.:eek:
How to handle this situation ?
Person has an outstanding fine from 2002 for sale of alcohol to a minor (it was a sting) , this person now discovers there is a warrant and this situation is preventing them from starting at a new job (person currently was working at a bussiness where they did a background check and everything was fine) .There is a new baby and this person cannot afford to spend time being taken to jail/police station/court room.How can they take care of this problem? (new job requires some sort of paperwork that says that it has been or is being taken care of) .....
Q: How can they take care of this problem?

A: Your only option is to surrender.

garrula lingua

Go to the court where you were supposed to appear oh those many moons ago.

Ask the court clerk to please have your case put before the Judge.

Follow the advice of the court personnel.

An alternative is to surrender to the cop shop. The bad thing about that is
1. you are in jail and must wait for a court appearance.
2. you will arrive at court in a jail bus - this does not appear as though you turned yourself in ... you need all the brownie points you can get, by showing the Judge you are, voluntarily, appearing on this to clear it up.
3. you may get a 'bleeding heart Judge' that would OR you or set low bail.

If you have not committed any other crime, the Judge will probably be fairly light with you (probably); the cop has to perform his duty by arresting you and transporting you to the jail.

Try the court approach. Follow SeniorJudge's advice on appearance in court.
At minimum, dress nice; be polite; show remorse; be respectful.

Don't be surprised if you get a crabby Judge who jails you; if it happens, it won't be for long. Hopefully, you will get a happy, content Judge.

mangokate

Alcohol to a minor..reply

What would you suggest as the best time to show up at a courthouse for this. Time of day, day of week. I would imagine that if I showed up when the judge was away or indisposed I would be jailed until he/she was ready for me and I mentioned, this would be a very bad thing for my family. Also, if I may ask, since this is my first time using this forum, what are your qualifications for answering this question? Thank you very much for your time.

garrula lingua

I'm an attorney, practicing Criminal law.

Morning is hectic in crim court. Everything depends on how heavy the court calendar is.

I would advise that you arrive about 9 am & watch the proceedings; see what the Judge seems like. If you can, ask the bailiff what s/he thinks the Judge will do to you.

See if you can get your case on calendar - the afternoon calendar may be a better choice. Be polite, courteous and appreciative; most people (court staff) want to help - they can't give legal advice, but they know their Judges.
Follow their instructions; if they say don't put it on calendar that day, listen to them.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">