• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overdraft fees due to company error!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alabama1980

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I'm not sure if this is the right category, I hope so.

My mother (a widow) is on a fixed income. She recently paid a power bill via the telephone. The company that Alabama Power uses to process the payments charged her four times for the amount. Before discovering this she paid several other bills. The four charges sent the account into overdraft, so there will be at least four overdraft charges that wouldn't have existed if not for the billing company's error.

She inquired to the company how they would handle it and they said they do not reimburse overdraft fees. So is it legal to cost someone money then refuse to repay it? I know $150 doesn't sound like a ton, but to my mother it is about 1/10th of her monthly income. Would it help if she mentioned getting a lawyer? Of course she can't afford it, but if it isn't legal they may not call her bluff....

Thanks in advance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am unaware of any law that requires a company to take responsibility for their client's overdraft fees, even if the overdraft was caused by their billing error.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Your mother could contact BillMatrix again and go up the foodchain until she gets to management. Then she can contact an attorney if they won't make it right.

If you are a consumer and you have a question about your payment using BillMatrix, please call 800.967.9649. One of our Customer Care Professionals will be glad to assist you. If you prefer, you may contact our Customer Care department via email at [email protected]
Fiserv - The Payment Experts® - Contact Use

Birmingham Bar Association
Alabama State Bar

Law schools usually offer clinics for free help, to train the law students.
Here's a link to UA's School of Law Clinics:
http://www.law.ua.edu/clinics/

Samford University also has Cumberland School of Law:
Cumberland School of Law

Then, there's the Birmingham School of Law:
BSOL - Welcome

Here's a number for the Miles Law School; No information on their website if they offer clinics or such, but the worst they can do is tell you no.
205-923-7739

alabama1980

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it!

Kind of a bummer that there isn't a law in place for that kind of thing. Doesn't seem right that a company can cost an individual money and not be held liable, yet if an individual costs a company money they are...but who ever said life is fair? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">