• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Driving under suspension/Unaware of License Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rader247

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I was recently pulled over for driving with an expired inspection sticker(this I was fully aware of and I procrastinated, no biggy). During the traffic stop the officer discovered my license was suspended( to my surprise). She was unable to explain why but let me leave the scene assuring I would receive citations in the mail. I immediately contacted PennDOT and found out why my license was suspended. A two year old fine, minor traffic violation, I thought I finished paying. I immediately contacted that magistrate and they immediately lifted the suspension with my promise to pay the fine and I paid the fine and subsequently paid for restoration with PennDOT. The next day I was pulled over again and cited for the same two things again(more on this later). Anyhow I contacted an attorney that gave me reassuring advice, suggesting when I get to court I simply explain this to the officer and she will likely plea me out to a lesser charge that won't result in any suspension. I attempted this but when I get to court the officer has quite a different demeanor. Won't plea me out and they find me guilty of both driving under suspension and driving with an expired inspection(again the inspection doesn't concern me, I'll pay the fine). This results in a notice being sent to inform me my license will be suspended for one year as a result. Again I contact an attorney. This time they provide no clue to a defense except to say I must appeal the first one asap or risk not having the oppurtunity to continue the fight at all. I did and it has delayed the suspension. While preparing the paperwork for appeal I realize I had received citations from the second stop that i had overlooked. I had just assumed when I received them that they were simply part of the first stop. During the second stop the officer didn't imply he would even cite me. Anyhow I plead not guilty and had the hearing this morning. I thought for sure this one would go away easy. Being that the officer claimed to have pulled me over for an obstructive license plate cover which he was still able to see through enough to run my registration prior to pulling me over. He said he discovered my car was registered as a toyota( it's a scion, made by toyota) and it's not a toyota. I educated the officer to this and he still ran my license discovering what the officer the day before did. His story in court changed and I questioned him on this. Unsure how the stop could even be valid. He claimed in court that he saw my inspection sticker prior to pulling me over. I challenged that remark and pointed out that, in fact, I pointed the inspection out to him. Not vise versa. This was of little concern to the judge apparently. I just figured this was grounds alone for a dismissal although I had no idea how to ask for one or if I had the right to do so. Either way I was found guilty both charges once again. The DJ was kind enough to point out that if the order to lift the suspension was sent the day before, as I stated in my defense, then that would be enough to win an appeal. This paperwork I was unaware even existed to prepare for this hearing. I will have that for the appeal, I have already contacted the magistrate from the fine that started all this. I feel confident on appeal of the second charge now but the first appears hopeless as there apparently will be no additional options for a plea. The appeal is simply a guilty or not hearing, right? Any help or preparation ideas are helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">