• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parent/child rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RugbyPlayer

Ok im posting here because i know there has to be a right way to go about this situation.

Recently i met a girl and have some interest in her. She is under 18 for another month and a half or so and I am over 18.

The situation is that her parents are not really protective, but controlling. They will not let her date, period, no if ands or buts about it. They do not let her even leave the house really to see friends. There was a person that she had alot of interest in, and they wanted to get engaged. The boy asked her father, and he forbid them to see each other after this.

She says they pretty much expect her to have an "arranged" marriage, meaning they want to find her future spouse for her.

Now because of this she has resorted to sneaking out to even see friends. She has mentioned the idea with me, but my concern being that if she is caught with me, because she is under the legal age of 18 and i am not, does this put me at risk for being charged with kidnapping?

Also does this change once she reaches the age of 18 or would she have to be emancipated or something of the sort for them to no longer have a say in this?

That being said i dont know how much of a future i have with this person, i just met her, but i also do not like the fact that she is not allowed to experience, well, anything.

IMO every child should have the right to make their own decisions, it is part of what makes us human, but i know those individual rights are limited until you reach the age of 18, but i am unsure if the parents can still press charges in such a situation.

The main reason i ask is because there has got to be a legal, right way to approach this situation

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

That was a rhetorical statement, She didnt mean literally post it under criminal law.

If your so worried, just put off hanging out for a month and a half.

Jeezez.

Just Blue

Okay...If you continue to encourage this MINOR child to disobey her parents, they will be within their rights to file a criminal complaint and a Restraining Order against you.

Until this girl turns 18 and moves out of her parents home she is subject to their rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">