• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents took money, I'm 18, can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmoschetti45

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Back when I was 16, I managed to save up $1063. Once my parents found out I had it, they took it. Apparently "I don't need more money than it takes to make an emergency phone call from a pay phone." Since then they have taken about another $500 over the last 2 years. Now that I'm 18, is there a way for me to get that money back? The reason I really need it is, I own no car, am going of to college, and have no job. I'd like to be able to buy a car and get a job, but without that money I can't. They also intentionally prevented me from getting a job as well, so I have no other money. I'm willing to sue them if that's what it takes to get my money back, they honestly deserve to be sued.

seniorjudge

jmoschetti45 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Back when I was 16, I managed to save up $1063. Once my parents found out I had it, they took it. Apparently "I don't need more money than it takes to make an emergency phone call from a pay phone." Since then they have taken about another $500 over the last 2 years. Now that I'm 18, is there a way for me to get that money back? The reason I really need it is, I own no car, am going of to college, and have no job. I'd like to be able to buy a car and get a job, but without that money I can't. They also intentionally prevented me from getting a job as well, so I have no other money. I'm willing to sue them if that's what it takes to get my money back, they honestly deserve to be sued.
Q: Parents took money, I'm 18, can I sue?

A: Yes. And expect a countersuit for the dough they've spent on you.

CdwJava

jmoschetti45 said:
Its legal to sue your kid for the money you spent raising him? I don't buy that...
But they can counter for any expenses since age 18.

Your action would be in small claims court. You can go forward with it and find out what happens. But, depending on the source of the money, your right to keep it is tenuous at best. Generally, as a minor you don't have a right to much of anything.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">