• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Park After Dark - Pink Slip - NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonp1029

My girlfriend and I was issued pink slips for being in the park after dark around 12:30 AM. We fully cooperated with the officers and was told it wasn't a big deal, it was just a ticket and he advised us to pay the fine.

Will pleading guilty and paying a fine leave any record? My partner is trying to get into grad school and any criminal record could destroy her chances. Is there any chance a judge would dismiss the case if we plead guilty? We have no prior violations (not even as much as a speeding ticket).

The violation was of section 102, subsection C2, NYC Park Rules.

Thank you.

You Are Guilty

It's actually section 1-03, but here you go:
c. Failure to Comply with Directions of Police Officers, Urban Park Rangers, Parks Enforcement Patrol Officers, or Other Department Employees, or Park Signs

1. No person shall fail, neglect or refuse to comply with the lawful direction or command of any Police Officer, Urban Park Ranger, Parks Enforcement Patrol Officer or other Department employee, indicated by gesture or otherwise.
2. No person shall fail to comply with or obey any instruction, direction, regulation, warning, or prohibition, written or printed, displayed or appearing on any park sign, except such sign may be disregarded upon order by a Police Officer or designated Department employee.
As for penalties, where is it returnable? Criminal Court or the ECB?

jonp1029

I believe in the criminal court. The back of the ticket says to show up in person on the court date that was written by the police officer. I'm assuming if I have to pay a penalty, it'll be decided then.

You Are Guilty

Is the address Livingston St. or John St.? If its in ECB (John St.), it's automatically a violation (like a parking ticket), which is not a "crime" that shows up on background checks.

If it is in criminal court, it is probably a violation, but can be a misdemeanor, which is a real crime and not one you should plead guilty to.

Best bet, show up, ask for an ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal) plea to a violation. If they say no, ask for a regular adjournment and hire a lawyer. (Most likely it won't get that far though).

jonp1029

The address is 120-55 Queens Blvd. I've never been in court before, but read that it's a big court and people are called up one by one and quickly given a judgment.

Once I show up, do I have to plead guilty or not guilty right away? Would I be able to ask for ACD once I'm called up or would I have to plead either guilty or not guilty first?

Thank you.

You Are Guilty

Does it happen to list "AR2" as the part? If so, you're in luck - it's separate from the rest of the Criminal Court. You'll be in a small room with a bunch of people who have tickets for a variety of violations, like urination in public or disorderly conduct. You simply hand you papers over when you get there and your case (slowly) will get called first come-first served. You walk up to the judge and can make your case.

You are entitled to plead not guilty (although it would seem you are, pleading guilty gives you no leverage). Pleading guilty to a violation is probably $100 in court costs and fines and no criminal record though. Requesting the ACD is pretty much the only way to get out of a fine if you are, in fact, guilty.

Most of the judges are very nice and as long as you aren't dressed like a homeless bum and are respectful, they will work with you.

Good luck.

PS. Get there EARLY. Show up even a few minutes before 9am and the line will probably be out the door and up the block, where you will have to wait for the earlier cases to be called before you can even get inside the building. Not fun when its raining/snowing/freezing.

jonp1029

The handwriting on the ticket is a bit messy, but it appears to be "A2" as the part. My partner's ticket clearly is written as "AR2" as the part. She'll be happy to hear the good news!

It's a big relief to know what to expect at the least. I hope the judge will be nice enough to grant us an ACD!

Thank you for all your help and for sharing your knowledge!

jonp1029

Sure, sounds fair enough.

My court date is set during the middle of January. I've read it may be difficult to reschedule to an earlier date. The thought of waiting out in the cold and snow isn't appealing, but we'll see how that goes!

You Are Guilty

Correct, you'll never get an earlier date, but you may be able to push it back, possibly to a warmer month. You can try giving the court clerk a call to see (just have a good "excuse" why ;) )

(718) 298-1408

xylene

My partner is trying to get into grad school and any criminal record could destroy her chances.
You watch too much TV.

If she is that worried, she should get a lawyer to handle this.

Your case is not combined because you are together. They are separate cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">