• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole Violation on a Bad Check Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Skyrat

What is the name of your state? MO

My daughter is facing charges of violating her unsupervisored probation for writing bad checks for more than $600. She is not provided a public defender because I posted 10% of her $5,000 bail. I have no idea what to expect or what the court may or may not do. I don't know at what point, if any, there is a violation by not providing a public defender for her. Can somebody maybe explain what I might expect from this? Thank you.

H

hexeliebe

I don't know at what point, if any, there is a violation by not providing a public defender for her.
ANSWER: A public defender is for 'indigent' defendents who have no resources to hire their own attorney. By posting her bond you have proven to the court that she does in fact, have resources, hence, she does not qualify for a public defender.

I have no idea what to expect or what the court may or may not do.
ANSWER: Several things can happen. She can be sent to jail to not only serve the remaining sentence she was on probation for, but also whatever sentence she is dealt for the bad checks; She can be given a slap on the hand and continue with probation under stricter circumstatnces, or she can flee the country.

S

Skyrat

Thank you for your Response

Little did I know that it would cause problems with her getting a public defender when I posted the bond. The only thing I thought of was a nursing baby and three little kids at home. She doesn't have resources to hire an attorney - nor do I. Hopefully the court will appoint a public defender on her court date then. Anyway, at least I know in which directions to worry.

Son of Slam

hexeliebe said:
ANSWER: ..... or she can flee the country.

She should choose, "flee the country" like a big sky rat that flew the coop. She can be part of the Mexican exchange program. We're far behind them in sending deadbeats across the boarder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">