• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing Check Against Insuf Funds 2nd Degree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hiddenlight

IA - However Its the state of SD where the court is.

I have a summons to appear in court for a misdeminor charge of passing a check against ISF in the 2nd degree. At the time I gave the check The funds should have been available if they would have cashed the check in a day or 2.
Alot of things were happening during that time and I had lost my job and had to pull funds from the account before the check was cleared.
My main thing is that I can easily pay the bad check now and I have moved recently and did not have the contact information to send the money for the check.
Is there a way to get this paid without the courts help?
Or since I have a summons is it too late without going to court?

Any advice would be helpful or post if you need more info.
Thanks!
Paul

Shay-Pari'e

Hiddenlight said:
IA - However Its the state of SD where the court is.

I have a summons to appear in court for a misdeminor charge of passing a check against ISF in the 2nd degree. At the time I gave the check The funds should have been available if they would have cashed the check in a day or 2.
Alot of things were happening during that time and I had lost my job and had to pull funds from the account before the check was cleared.
My main thing is that I can easily pay the bad check now and I have moved recently and did not have the contact information to send the money for the check.
Is there a way to get this paid without the courts help?
Or since I have a summons is it too late without going to court?

Any advice would be helpful or post if you need more info.
Thanks!
Paul

Paul, you are full of it. That said,....No, you need to appear in court, or have a lawyer appear for you.

Hiddenlight

Wow thanks for the advice.

With all do respect...ive been through hell and back in the last few months.
Ive finally got my crap together and now im trying to keep it that way.

I have no problem appearing in court I was just wondering if it could be settled outside the courts thats all.

Thanks

Paul

garrula lingua

You must appear in court, or a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest.

When you appear, ask to speak with the Public Defender. Check with the PD as to what disposition can be obtained for an early plea or if there's any chance of a deferral/dismissal.

If you don't qualify for the PD, try to appear 'in pro per'**per se' (representing yourself) and see if you can speak to the Prosecutor. See what the Prosecutor wants. If the Prosecutor's offer seems very harsh, ask the court for a continuance to speak with an attorney.

You can get the best advice from the bailiff in that court. S/he sees these cases go before the court every day & they know the normal resolution.

If you're extremely nervous about court, go to court a week before you're scheduled and watch the court proceedings - see what the Judge seems like, the Prosecutor, the PD.

The worst thing you can do is ignore this & not appear. If you've been through a lot, then this is just another little bit to go through to get back on your feet and clear up this matter.
Good luck.

Hiddenlight

Thank you very much. I will take your adivce and sit through a hearing or 2 before hand.
I will also try to get in a word with the baliff if possible.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">