• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

past class x felony- can it keep you from international travel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovelybeekeep1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Friends and I have been doing trips through the EU for some time now. It has always been a good time. I have a new friend who would like to join us this time, but there may be some problems. The new person wanting to join has a past criminal record- the sentance is done and over no more strings attached; time served. This is something that actually happened when my friend was a teenager, but still has to live with the fact that there is a class X felony in the background and served 10 years in state prison. My friend has been rehabilitated and is a different person than before. Tax paying, law abiding, willing to hold the door for the lady with a walker sort of person.

Both of us are natural US citizens (can prove citizenship), I have my passport but my friend does not. We wanted to know if it would even be worth the processing fee to get a passport and have had a lot of trouble researching which countries may not let my friend in. The last thing we want is to get all the way there only to be detained or not let in. Neither of us want to just "burn" our money. We are looking to go to Eastern and Western European countries, maybe even into Eastern Asia. I cannot seem to find any hint of a yes or no or a process for any countries outside of Canada and Mexico. I know that certain countries have policies on people with former criminal records that may bar their entry. We are looking at starting part of our trip in winter.

Any help on finding the definite answer to these questions would help.

xylene

Your friend can get a passport.

Check with the consulate of countries you intend to enter.

Have a lawyer and travel insurance.

"class x" doesn't mean much to foreign governments.

What was the exact nature of the offense? It makes a huge difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">