• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Sexual Molestation by Teacher of daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

upnorthmom

What is the name of your state? Colorado

It has come to my attention that 16 years ago, when my daughter was just 13, she was sexually molested by a teacher for an entire school year. Not only that, but this man's supervisor (the dept. head) knew about it and did nothing. There is a mountain of evidence with notes, letters, former friends and students willing to come forward who were aware of it and witnessed acts. For 16 years, my daughter's life has been shaped by this experience and it's led her to severe alcoholism, loss of jobs, loss of relationship, self hatred and self punishment. She confessed this to me after giving birth and then drinking again. I'm trying to talk her into counseling now before something tragic happens. This happened in Colorado and she lives out of state. Down the road, should she decide to pursue this (I would like to rip this man apart with my bare hands) would it need to be done in Colorado? Would the school system be liable for the dept. head never coming forward to protect a student? Is there a statue of limitations on this? I don't even know what kind of attorney she should contact or if she could afford one. Would it be inconceivable to think that one would take this case "pro bono" with a successful outcome virtually guaranteed? I'm in such a state of shock with burning rage that I don't even know where to begin. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

smutlydog

What is the name of your state? Colorado

It has come to my attention that 16 years ago, when my daughter was just 13, she was sexually molested by a teacher for an entire school year. Not only that, but this man's supervisor (the dept. head) knew about it and did nothing. There is a mountain of evidence with notes, letters, former friends and students willing to come forward who were aware of it and witnessed acts. For 16 years, my daughter's life has been shaped by this experience and it's led her to severe alcoholism, loss of jobs, loss of relationship, self hatred and self punishment. She confessed this to me after giving birth and then drinking again. I'm trying to talk her into counseling now before something tragic happens. This happened in Colorado and she lives out of state. Down the road, should she decide to pursue this (I would like to rip this man apart with my bare hands) would it need to be done in Colorado? Would the school system be liable for the dept. head never coming forward to protect a student? Is there a statue of limitations on this? I don't even know what kind of attorney she should contact or if she could afford one. Would it be inconceivable to think that one would take this case "pro bono" with a successful outcome virtually guaranteed? I'm in such a state of shock with burning rage that I don't even know where to begin. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I don't know the legal aspects of you daughter's potential case. Did you read the thread below?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=344373

The counseling idea is a good. The prognosis for someone that has had this kind of experience varies but it is treatable.

The affectivness of the counselor isn't guaranteed so she shouldn't assume the first one she visits will be the right one. Compatibility is important.

upnorthmom

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I've read conflicting information about statute of limitations. I was hoping someone might reply who had information on that. If there is a statute of limitations, I wonder how it is that men now 20 or 30 years later are going after the Catholic Church? Her counseling starts tomorrow and hopefully it will help heal the scar this man left on her soul.

rmet4nzkx

Of course it will all depend on the facts one of which will be when she realized that she was both abused and injured. Her counselor should be able to make any mandated reports, these would be needed in part to establish when the statute of limitations began.

Here is a link and phone number for http://www.ccasa.org/
The Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CCASA) is a statewide coalition of individuals and organizations working together for freedom from sexual violence. As the collective voice of sexual assault survivors and those who support and serve them, CCASA's mission is to ensure that those impacted by sexual violence are treated with dignity and respect and have full access to quality services and resources. CCASA achieves its mission through an emphasis on education, changing public policy, and advocating for adequate funding for sexual assault services.

Please email us if you have any questions, or call us at 303-861-7033 or toll free at 1-877-37-CCASA for those outside the Denver metro area.
Here is an atricle explaining the CO statutes, caselaw and their interpretation.
http://www.smith-lawfirm.com/sol_Colorado.html
Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. §13-80-103.7 (2001)
http://www.smith-lawfirm.com/sol_Colorado.html#Text of Statute

Claims can be filed within 6 years of reaching the age of majority or 6 years ofthe removal of a disability as defined by the statute. Subsequent court opinions have established that the Colorado SOL is a "realization" statute; namely, that the 6-year period does not begin to run until the victim comes to a realization that not only was he or she abused, but that he or she has become injured as a result of the abuse. A survivor is disabled under the statute if he or she is unable to acknowledge the abuse or the injury. Damages are limited by statute to medical and counseling costs for claims brought more than 15 years after the age of majority. Cases and Commentary:In Sailsbery v. Parks, 983 P.2d 137 (Colo. App. 1999) cert. denied (1999), the court applied a realization-type definition to the discovery provision, holding that the limitations period did not begin to run until the plaintiff knew of both her injury and its cause. On August 24, 1999, the Colorado Supreme Court refused to hear the case and let the lower Appellate Court ruling stand.In Sandoval v. Archdiocese of Denver, 8 P.3d 598 (Colo. App. 2000) the appellate court held that the special statute of limitations is not available to extend the time in which claims can be filed against parties other than the perpetrator, i.e. institutions who employ the perpetrator.
Text of Statute:13-80-103.7 - General limitation of actions - sexual assault or sexual offense against a child - six years. (1) Notwithstanding any other statute of limitations specified in this article, or any other provision of law that can be construed to reduce the statutory period set forth in this section, any civil action based on a sexual assault or a sexual offense against a child shall be commenced within six years after a disability has been removed for a person under disability, as such term is defined in subsection (3.5) of this section, or within six years after a cause of action accrues, whichever occurs later, and not thereafter. Nothing in this section shall be construed to extend the statutory period with respect to vicarious liability. (2) For the purpose of this section, "sexual assault" means subjecting another person of any age to sexual contact, as defined in section 18-3-401 (4), C.R.S.; sexual intrusion, as defined in section 18-3-401 (5), C.R.S.; or sexual penetration, as defined in section 18-3-401 (6), C.R.S. (3) For the purposes of this section, "sexual offense against a child" shall include all offenses listed in section 18-3-411, C.R.S. (3.5) (a) For the purpose of this section, "person under disability" means any person who is a minor under eighteen years of age, a mental incompetent, or a person under other legal disability and who does not have a legal guardian. "Person under disability" also includes a victim of a sexual assault when the victim is in a special relationship with the perpetrator of the assault or is a victim of a sexual offense against a child or is a victim who is residing in an institutional facility, such as a nursing home, regional center, or residential facility for the treatment and care of persons with mental illness or for the care of persons with developmental disabilities and where the victim is psychologically or emotionally unable to acknowledge the assault or offense and the harm resulting therefrom. For the purpose of this subsection (3.5), "special relationship" means a relationship between the victim and the perpetrator of the sexual assault which is a confidential, trust-based relationship, such as attorney-client, doctor-patient, psychotherapist-patient, minister-parishioner, teacher-student, or familial relationship. It is the intent of the general assembly to leave in place the six-year limitation for adults subjected to a sexual assault except in the situations described in this paragraph (a) in which the victim is in a special relationship with the perpetrator of the assault. In the circumstances in which a victim is in a special relationship with the perpetrator of the assault or is a victim of a sexual offense against a child or a victim who is residing in an institutional facility, such as a nursing home, regional center, or residential facility for the treatment and care of persons with mental illness or for the care of persons with developmental disabilities and where the victim is psychologically or emotionally unable to acknowledge the assault or offense and the harm resulting therefrom, the six-year limitation shall be tolled until the disability is removed. For the purpose of this section, where the plaintiff is a victim of a series of sexual assaults or sexual offenses against a child, the plaintiff need not establish which act of a series of acts caused the plaintiff's injury, and the statute of limitations set forth in this section shall commence with the last in the series of acts, subject to the provisions of this section regarding disability. However, as elements of the cause of action, a person under disability who is psychologically or emotionally unable to acknowledge the assault or offense and the harm resulting therefrom shall have the burden of proving that the assault or offense occurred and that such person was actually psychologically or emotionally unable to acknowledge the assault or offense and the harm resulting therefrom. (b) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 13-90-107, the filing of a claim pursuant to this subsection (3.5) is deemed to be a limited waiver of the doctor-patient privilege or the psychologist-patient privilege to persons who are necessary to resolve the claim, and a doctor or psychologist who provided medical care and treatment or counseling and treatment to the plaintiff for injuries upon which an action under this subsection (3.5) is based may be examined as a witness. All medical records pertaining to any relevant medical care and treatment or counseling and treatment of the plaintiff are admissible into evidence in an action brought pursuant to this subsection (3.5) and shall be available for inspection upon request by the parties to the action. (c) If the plaintiff brings a civil action under this subsection (3.5) fifteen years or more after the plaintiff attains the age of eighteen, the plaintiff may only recover damages for medical and counseling treatment and expenses, plus costs and attorney fees. (d) It is the intent of the general assembly in enacting this subsection (3.5) to extend the statute of limitations as to civil actions based on offenses described in subsection (1) of this section as amended on July 1, 1993, for which the applicable statute of limitations in effect prior to July 1, 1993, has not yet run on July 1, 1993. (3.7) An action may not be brought pursuant to subsection (3.5) of this section if the defendant is deceased or is incapacitated to the extent that the defendant is incapable of rendering a defense to the action. (4) It is the intent of the general assembly in enacting this section to extend the statute of limitations as to civil actions based on offenses described in subsection (1) of this section for which the applicable statute of limitations in effect prior to July 1, 1990, has not yet run on July 1, 1990. (5) The provisions of this section shall not be construed to extend or suspend the statute of limitations or statute of repose applicable to a claim alleging negligence in the course of providing professional services in the practice of medicine. This subsection (5) shall not be construed to preclude pursuing a civil action pursuant to this section alleging a sexual offense based on a legal theory other than negligence in the course of providing professional services in the practice of medicine, unless the sexual assault forms the basis for a claim of such negligence. Resources Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault

upnorthmom

Thanks so much for the information you included. I've read it several times and will again to try and understand it all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">