• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pawn shop records??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindeekj

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My digital camera was stolen from my house back in Aug. 2003. I have recently been told (by the person who drove her to the pawn shop) that it was my son's ex-girlfriend who took it. The police told me that the camera has probably already been sold and pawn shops check to see if it is stolen only when it is pawned. Don't the pawn shops have to keep some kind of record as to whom pawned what??? I do know the exact pawn shop that it was pawned at.

lindeekj

Are they required by law to cooperate with police and show them the records?? If I don't have the serial #, but it is proven by pawn shop records that this girl pawned a digital camera - would there be a case against her?

mykoleary

I'd be more interested in who bought it. If you filed a police report that it was stolen, it has your serial number, then you MAY be able to recover it from the person who bought it.

Sucks to be them...

most states have laws in place that require serial numbers to be recorded and ID's checked. additionally many pawn shops take fingerprints or photograph the items for obvious reasons.

not sure how you would start your fishing expedition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">