• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawned Stolen Goods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

XavierBleez

Upstate New York. I just turned 18.

My friend had me pawn things for him. Because he was underage.

They turned out to be stolen. A cop came to my house and talked to my mom when i was gone. He said he just wanted to talk to me. And that this kid wrote a statement against me saying: "He pawned stuff for me, but he didnt know that it was stolen." The kid that wrote this is going to prison for 3 years, and (im guessing) that he's trying to get it reduced as much as possible.

I still have to talk to the cop about it and he probably has to a get a statement from me. And obviously im going to go with what the statement said, that i did'nt know it was stolen.

Will anything happen to me? Will i get in trouble for it? Thanks for the help.

Antigone*

Upstate New York. I just turned 18.

My friend had me pawn things for him. Because he was underage.

They turned out to be stolen. A cop came to my house and talked to my mom when i was gone. He said he just wanted to talk to me. And that this kid wrote a statement against me saying: "He pawned stuff for me, but he didnt know that it was stolen." The kid that wrote this is going to prison for 3 years, and (im guessing) that he's trying to get it reduced as much as possible.

I still have to talk to the cop about it and he probably has to a get a statement from me. And obviously im going to go with what the statement said, that i did'nt know it was stolen.

Will anything happen to me? Will i get in trouble for it? Thanks for the help.
I suggest you stay quiet unless you have an attorney present.

CdwJava

Consult legal counsel. You do not know for sure WHAT the kid told the cops.

The state has to show that you knew or reasonably should have known the property was stolen.

What did you pawn? If the items were expensive items of jewelry, or electronics, or a number of things that would give a reasonable person the reason to believe they might be stolen, you might have a tough road to travel.

A 17 year old that comes up with a bunch of unopened computer discs with Wal-Mart labels, or three car stereos with cut wires, or a collection of rare coins or jewelry is likely to give a person reason to believe that the stuff was stolen. After all, if he had gotten it legitimately, his parents could have pawned it for him. Since he bypassed his parents and got his teenage adult friend, you're probably in deep kimshee.

swalsh411

The cop wants a statement but he has no right to demand a statement and you don't need to give a statement.

DO NOT SPEAK TO THE POLICE. TELL THE OFFICER(S) YOU REFUSE TO GIVE ANY STATEMENT OR ANY ANSWER QUESTIONS. NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU MIGHT HAPPEN, DON'T TALK TO THEM.

Please let us know if this is in any way unclear.

XavierBleez

What do you mean deep kimshee? I didn't know they we're stolen.
And the cop said he wasn't looking to get me in trouble, just for me to be a witness? Is it legal to refuse to comply with him?
And also his parents aren't really there for him and they dont like to do things for him.

Last edited:

CdwJava

What do you mean deep kimshee? I didn't know they we're stolen.
It may appear that you knew. That's the point. You can say what you want, but if you pawned a bunch of stuff that a teenager is not likely to have, then ain't no one gonna buy that tale.

And the cop said he wasn't looking to get me in trouble, just for me to be a witness? Is it legal to refuse to comply with him?
Yes. You can refuse to talk to him.

Understand YOU pawned the stolen goods ... YOU did. You do not know what your underage friend told the cops. He may have told you that he said you didn't know, or the police may have told you that, but you do not know for sure, do you? Either party can lie to you.

And also his parents aren't really there for him and they dont like to do things for him.
It could be that he has pushed them away because he is up to no good ... as evidenced by the fact that he had stolen property that he gave to you.

What were the items you pawned?

Well the cop is not going to talk to you to improve you life now is he?

If you are free, shut your mouth; open mouth & insert foot...ever hear of that saying? Quite on the mark for you.

He may even threaten you after you say you don't want to speak to him ... & this is the tip-off .. if he could have arrested you he already would have.

XavierBleez

Okay then. Well what should I say exactly?
I refuse to write any statement or answer any question without my attorney present? Im not to sure on what to say to the guy if
he shows back up again.

I don't have a record at all.. so it couldnt be to bad right? I'm not arrested or under trial so ..

Last edited:

CdwJava

You can respectfully advise the detective that you do not wish to speak to him at this time. Then, you call an attorney.

You might be perfectly in the clear, and you might be considered just a witness necessary to nail the kid who gave you the goods. but! You have no way to know if that's the case, and they (the police) do not have to tell you the God's-honest-truth on that.

swalsh411

If you are compelled to be a witness that is an entirely different process. The cop doesn't decide whether you can be forced to testify or not; a judge does. It is a very common ploy to tell a suspect "you're going to have to testify against your friend anyway so you might as well just tell me what you know now". don't buy it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">