• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawning stolen goods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dieyanks13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,
This summer a friend called me and said he needed money immedietly and it was an emergancy. i told him i was not in a position to lend him money and he suggested pawning some items. i told him that sounded like his best option. he then told me he did not have an id to complete the deal and begged me to meet him at the pawn shop. i consented, pawned the items and gave him the money. 2 weeks ago i received a call from a detective stating that the items were stolen and i was going to be charged. i called my friend and he broke down and told me he had stolen the items. i explained to the detective what happened and he told me that i will still be charged. is this true? will i be charged, if so what charges will i face? and is there anything i can do about it? thank you to everyone for there help.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,
This summer a friend called me and said he needed money immedietly and it was an emergancy. i told him i was not in a position to lend him money and he suggested pawning some items. i told him that sounded like his best option. he then told me he did not have an id to complete the deal and begged me to meet him at the pawn shop. i consented, pawned the items and gave him the money. 2 weeks ago i received a call from a detective stating that the items were stolen and i was going to be charged. i called my friend and he broke down and told me he had stolen the items. i explained to the detective what happened and he told me that i will still be charged. is this true? will i be charged, if so what charges will i face? and is there anything i can do about it? thank you to everyone for there help.

You need an attorney asap.

Your friend couldn't get together the $15 ($20 if replacement) to get a MD photo ID?

It does not sound credible.

Sorry.

dieyanks13

what if the kid i pawned them for will vouch that i did it for him? he was with me... also, is there anyway i can avoid being charged if i pay back the pawn shop and ask them to help me locate the owners and explain the situation? i called the shop and told them what happened and they said they wont file any charges as long as they are reimbursed.

FlyingRon

If the police are involved already, you need to stop and get a lawyer. The pawn broker has NO discretion here. It is not them that files charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">