• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pedophile not getting arrested....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mirori1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

A teenage girl in foster care I have no legal responsibility for came to me in January of this year asking for help. As concise as possible:

She is living with her aunt and uncle and her foster care caseworker keeps getting changed....lots of turnover.
Her parents were aware of an assault involving a knife and molestation and did not report it.

I helped this minor go in to report/file against the perp who allegedly molested/raped her with foreign objects for appox 2 years. (this was her older sister's boyfriend and was left to babysit her often)
Because the initial assault happened at a rest-stop - it got turned over to State Patrol.
I was the only one on her 'team' that made it to the Child Advocacy center interview.

This child has Dissociative Identity Disorder (split personality which occurs when a victim is exposed to such pain/fear over an extended period of time their brain 'splits' to cope) and other PTSD symptoms. I absolutely believe she is telling the truth. She is terrified of him....and scared she may not be able to have babies due to the assaults...but her aunt/uncle say she doesn't need a physical and the cops haven't asked for one (honestly - I'm not sure if there would be scarring or not, not knowing the extent of abuse)

It has been 8 months though. I have followed up with the investigating officer (promoted- didn't finish case), the Srgt, the Lt...and finally the Captain.

The foster family does not seem to care to follow up and are the only ones who can help her get a protection order unless she can get a caseworker to return her call. She has new memories surfacing - including being put in a dog kennel that she saw in his truck the last time he stalked her at work - and being bound and raped with the handle of a knife (same one he left marks on her leg with), screwdriver, etc. The perp has stalked her at her workplace frequently enough to have the manager not only kick him out of the place - but also off the lot. I have advised him to call the cops next time and have him talked to about trespassing...

The Capt finally wrote back "Since you have no legal part of her life, we cannot share the case with you further"

Statistically - this pedophile has probably taken at least 2 more victims since we filed. The cops tell me they have 'current' cases that must take priority - and while that makes sense for 5 months or so...C'mon...you have two adults, this teen, her scars, and unbiased witnesses (her boss) to talk about his current behavior. What does it take?

I feel like my hands are tied at this point. Can the girl seek legal counsel to have a lawyer look into the apparent apathy of the police? The advocacy center did say that she could call them and request to do an additional interview with the new information.

My question is: is there anything else I can do? Is there anything this girl (17 yrs old now) can do on her own to help herself? And really....if you drop this guy's name in a 3 town area - everyone knows who it is, or if you don't say his name and just describe his creepiness - they guess. I bet whoever responds to this - if you live in the middle of the state - may actually already know who I'm talking about - I would NOT be surprised at all. He has been reported stalking kids at parks, has had a molestation case brought (not enough evidence) against him a couple yrs ago. Her getting justice aside - this guy is not going to stop molesting children just because one victim grows up.... and he seems to be totally free to do so. The general consensus seems to be - when there is a body dug up in his yard - then they'll get him.

This can't be the case....can it?

quincy

A teenage girl in foster care I have no legal responsibility for ...

... The Capt finally wrote back "Since you have no legal part of her life, we cannot share the case with you further" ...
You can hire for her an attorney.

tranquility

In addition to what Quincy said, I think you might prefer saying "alleged" pedophile if you really need to say it at all.

It is great you believe her and stand in her corner. But, making unsubstantiated allegations of this sort is something that is not going to help matters and you could find yourself in a position you don't want to be in.

quincy

I agree with tranquilty.

As an important note, though: Even using the word "alleged" before the word "pedophile" is not legally safe, although it can be safer to include with your statement who exactly is doing the alleging (ie, "The police allege he is a pedophile"). If you alone are doing the alleging, however, you can be sued for defamation and should have good proof of the truth of your statement.

As an additional note, the police probably will not do any alleging without some evidence to support the allegation, because they, too, can be held liable for defamation.

You should wait for an arrest, charges and a conviction on criminal charges before tossing words around that impute to any individual a criminal action.

Silverplum

A teenage girl in foster care I have no legal responsibility for came to me in January of this year asking for help. As concise as possible:

She is living with her aunt and uncle and her foster care caseworker keeps getting changed....lots of turnover.
Her parents were aware of an assault involving a knife and molestation and did not report it.

I helped this minor go in to report/file against the perp who allegedly molested/raped her with foreign objects for appox 2 years. (this was her older sister's boyfriend and was left to babysit her often)
Because the initial assault happened at a rest-stop - it got turned over to State Patrol.
I was the only one on her 'team' that made it to the Child Advocacy center interview.

This child has Dissociative Identity Disorder (split personality which occurs when a victim is exposed to such pain/fear over an extended period of time their brain 'splits' to cope) and other PTSD symptoms. I absolutely believe she is telling the truth. She is terrified of him....and scared she may not be able to have babies due to the assaults...but her aunt/uncle say she doesn't need a physical and the cops haven't asked for one (honestly - I'm not sure if there would be scarring or not, not knowing the extent of abuse)

It has been 8 months though. I have followed up with the investigating officer (promoted- didn't finish case), the Srgt, the Lt...and finally the Captain.

The foster family does not seem to care to follow up and are the only ones who can help her get a protection order unless she can get a caseworker to return her call. She has new memories surfacing - including being put in a dog kennel that she saw in his truck the last time he stalked her at work - and being bound and raped with the handle of a knife (same one he left marks on her leg with), screwdriver, etc. The perp has stalked her at her workplace frequently enough to have the manager not only kick him out of the place - but also off the lot. I have advised him to call the cops next time and have him talked to about trespassing...

The Capt finally wrote back "Since you have no legal part of her life, we cannot share the case with you further"

Statistically - this pedophile has probably taken at least 2 more victims since we filed. The cops tell me they have 'current' cases that must take priority - and while that makes sense for 5 months or so...C'mon...you have two adults, this teen, her scars, and unbiased witnesses (her boss) to talk about his current behavior. What does it take?

I feel like my hands are tied at this point. Can the girl seek legal counsel to have a lawyer look into the apparent apathy of the police? The advocacy center did say that she could call them and request to do an additional interview with the new information.

My question is: is there anything else I can do? Is there anything this girl (17 yrs old now) can do on her own to help herself? And really....if you drop this guy's name in a 3 town area - everyone knows who it is, or if you don't say his name and just describe his creepiness - they guess. I bet whoever responds to this - if you live in the middle of the state - may actually already know who I'm talking about - I would NOT be surprised at all. He has been reported stalking kids at parks, has had a molestation case brought (not enough evidence) against him a couple yrs ago. Her getting justice aside - this guy is not going to stop molesting children just because one victim grows up.... and he seems to be totally free to do so. The general consensus seems to be - when there is a body dug up in his yard - then they'll get him.

This can't be the case....can it?
Must Q4P.

What about the State Attorney General? http://www.ago.ne.gov/contact

davew128

It's kind of like Stewie Griffin being the only person in Quahog who recognizes Mr. Herbert for what he is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">