• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pennsylvania extradite for misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

carnationss said:
Does Pennsylvania extradite for misdemeanors?
CAN they?

Sure.

WILL they?

Probably not.

But, that does not mean that you will not be arrested in another state while they wait for PA to make up its mind. And having that warrant can prevent you from getting a good job, receiving government assistance, laons or SSI, and can result in rather inconvenient contacts with law enforcement.

- Carl

carnationss

when you say arrested in another state, do you mean any state or the one which the misdemeanor is charged?If you mean any state, what do they do notify my home state of PA or the state in which this misdemeanor occurred?

CdwJava

carnationss said:
when you say arrested in another state, do you mean any state or the one which the misdemeanor is charged?If you mean any state, what do they do notify my home state of PA or the state in which this misdemeanor occurred?
Let us say that PA has entered the warrant into NCIC. What happens when you are contacted or sought by officers in any other state is that they will ask their Dispatcher to "confirm" the warrant with the issuing agency. If the issuing agency "confirms" the warrant (i.e. they affirm that the warrant is valid and they intend to extradite), the contacting agency will take you into custody on that arrest warrant. You will then sit in jail for a period of time until the issuing agency in PA notifies the holding agency (jail) when they will come and get you. If the issuing agency either fails to make notification in the proper time frame or later decides not to extradite you, the warrant gets entered back into the system and you get kicked out the door until next time.

- Carl

carnationss

What is the NCIC? and what if PA does not enter warrant in NCIC? What if you don't appear for a hearing and no warrant is issued, what happens to case?

Last edited:

CdwJava

carnationss said:
What is the NCIC? and what if PA does not enter warrant in NCIC?
NCIC is the National Crime Information Center operated by the US DOJ.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/ncic_brochure.htm

If PA does not enter the warrant into NCIC it still exists and can still pop up on employment checks, and can still prevent access to government aid, loans and jobs. It's lack of inclusion at NCIC would simply mean that you would not be arrested on it ... unless or until it IS entered. And you never know when PA might decide they want to send a message and round up deadbeat parents.

Agencies do occasionally decide to enter warrants into NCIC when they originally weren't. Sometimes they wait until they have located the suspect and THEN call the local agency to let them know the warrant exists.

Being on the run isn't a grand ol' time.

- Carl

CdwJava

carnationss said:
What if you don't appear for a hearing and no warrant is issued, what happens to case?
They can just sit on it with a judgement against you ... they can continue it ... they can dismiss it ... they can re-file it ... who knows? It depends on the type of case.

- Carl

carnationss

This is not a dead beat parent case. it's a class c misdemeanor. what do u mean by refile it? can it be upgraded to a class b or higher?

CdwJava

carnationss said:
This is not a dead beat parent case.
Sorry ... I had you confused with another poster.

What are you charged with?

what do u mean by refile it? can it be upgraded to a class b or higher?
It means that if the court drops it for some reason then the prosecutor can re-file the charges with the court ... possibly with additional charges or higher if the elements can support the new charges.

- Carl

carnationss

You seem very knowledgeable. Are you a lawyer, judge, prosecutor or police officer? You have been helpful. I do not know who visits this site, that is why I have not mentioned the charge.

CdwJava

I am a police supervisor.

As for the charge, what will it matter if you mention the charge? Unless you are the only guy in your state that has been charged with whatever statute you have been charged with, how is that going to narrow down who you are?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">