• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person hacked into my email account; is sending libelous emails to me & my contacts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vineyardtechie

Person hacked into my email account; is sending libelous emails to me & my contacts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

A "mentally deprived" person is sending libelous and salacious emails to me, and my companion.
He has just sent a "draft" email supposedly from my address to his email address. Very odd
procedure, which was done to impress me with his ability to harass our lives.

He is not capable of conducting such a tech. level & illegal procedure.
I am not sure how he accomplished this act.

I state this to illustrate that he has the capability to send emails to all my "Contact" list.
I do not wish to change my "Contact" List, as I have software accounts that are linked to
my address. That is my fear. I do not fear this "crazy" person, just what damages he may
perpetrate and the time/cost of preventing further Federal Communication violations,
pertaining to hacking into my and my companion's email accounts.
I am willing & able to pay for legal advice and representation.

I am not sure how to proceed; as there is not a category for such a FCC violation
on this website.

Please advise on how to proceed.
thank you for your kind attention to this matter.
James Masek aka site name: vineyardtechie

tranquility

While "hacking" your email is both a "crime" and a "tort", the only "real" solution is to "change" your "e-mail" account. You could go to the police and report the crime (of unauthorized access), but they probably won't do much. You can try to sue the person, but it seems you are not hurt yet and it would take a long time to get to trial. You might try for a restraining order, but, I'm uncertain as to how you can't just prevent the person by changing your password or getting another account.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

A "mentally deprived" person is sending libelous and salacious emails to me, and my companion.
He has just sent a "draft" email supposedly from my address to his email address. Very odd

I state this to illustrate that he has the capability to send emails to all my "Contact" list.
I do not wish to change my "Contact" List, as I have software accounts that are linked to
my address. That is my fear. I do not fear this "crazy" person, just what damages he may
perpetrate and the time/cost of preventing further Federal Communication violations,

I am not sure how to proceed; as there is not a category for such a FCC violation
on this website.

I can make the 'from' address anything I want in an email client. I'd suggest changing the email passwords plus blocking and deleting those emails. :cool:

swalsh411

He may not even be logging into your account. You can mess with the headers and make any email look like it's coming from anybody.

vineyardtechie

on this website.

Dear Tranquility,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I will change my password, which could prevent that odd procedure
of creating a draft email in my email account: from me to another person.
Weird.
Anyway, I will not change my email address for business reasons.
I have notified the crazy hacker to cease & he says he will, due to my
threat of legal actions.
Best to you all,
Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">