• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A person throws an object at the other person. Harassment or disorderly conduct?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesmxcs

New York State

I live in New York City.
One day, I was walking on the streets, about 3 teenagers was passing by me and then one of them threw chocolates at my back.
Another day, I was walking into a grocery store. 4 people were at the entrance. When I was about to get into the store, I felt my back was hit. I turned around and found a ping pong ball bouncing. There were no other people at the entrance so I'm sure the ball was thrown by one of those 4 people.

Apparently, the actions in the above two incidents serve no legitimate purpose. But because I was not injured, so I believe assault in the third degree does not apply here. But what about harassment or disorderly conduct? Are they guilty of harassment or disorderly conduct?

In the terms describing disorderly conduct, it says that "he creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose". What satisfies a hazardous or physically offensive condition?

Does New York State have any law that punishes a person for annoying the other person by throwing objects at the other person without causing that other person any physical injury?

I would really appreciate anyone to give me some answers to the above questions.

TigerD

Have you considered trying to establish what it is about you that marks you as a victim?
If two unrelated groups of people are punking you in NYC, it tells me that the problem is you.

DC

anearthw

This screams homework.

Regardless of law, I cannot imagine the city of new York pursuing charges of assault/battery/harassment by chocolate or ping pongs.

You Are Guilty

This screams homework.

Regardless of law, I cannot imagine the city of new York pursuing charges of assault/battery/harassment by chocolate or ping pongs.
There was recently a fistfight between one of my client's employees and a random person from another office in the same building. It went on for about 3-4 minutes, despite our guy outweighing the kid by a solid 100#. The video shows our employee not only throwing the first punch, but it appears to be while the kid had his back turned (sigh).

Moral of this story? NYPD responded, and refused to even write a report because "no one had to go to the hospital".

I'm thinking a "ping pong ball to the back" call is about on par for them as the "I'm in the BK drivethrough and they refuse to make it my way".

tranquility

Thrown at the back? Then, a ping pong ball? I agree, seems like homework.

But, what class? Looks to me to be questions in tort and not crime.

jamesmxcs

Have you considered trying to establish what it is about you that marks you as a victim?
If two unrelated groups of people are punking you in NYC, it tells me that the problem is you.

DC

Thank you for your response. I do think that it's because of the energy I project. I'm thin and I look like a nerd. I presume that's why they picked on me because they knew that I wouldn't challenge or confront them. You're right that the two groups are unrelated. But they seem to be high school students. Anyway, I will move on since now I know I can't do anything.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It is certainly harassment and probably disorderly conduct as well.

What's your point in asking?

jamesmxcs

It is certainly harassment and probably disorderly conduct as well.

What's your point in asking?
My point in asking is that I want to know what my options are if I come across a similar situation in the future, and get my questions answered though they're quite technical.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your options are to either ignore it, file a police report, or retaliate against your harasser and risk getting in trouble yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">