• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paul walsh

What is the name of your state? Virginia.
Me & my wife traveled to texas with her son & girlfriend. We decided to stay longer, so we asked them to take some of our clothes back to virginia. Now they won't give us our clothes back, saying we owe them for gas money. So I said to my wife's son pay your girlfriend with the money you owe me.But they still refuse to return our belongings

H

hmmbrdzz

You probably need to give some more information here so someone might be able to better help you. Here's a few questions that come to my mind before I would want to offer any advice:

Do you or your wife depend upon the son for food, money, clothing, shelter, etc?

Does the son or the girlfriend have any history of violence to your knowledge?

hmmbrdzz

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

paul walsh said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia.
Me & my wife traveled to texas with her son & girlfriend. We decided to stay longer, so we asked them to take some of our clothes back to virginia. Now they won't give us our clothes back, saying we owe them for gas money. So I said to my wife's son pay your girlfriend with the money you owe me.But they still refuse to return our belongings

My response:

Clothes in exchange for gas money?

Is this goofy, or what?

IAAL

JETX

And how much 'extra' gas does he figure your clothes used??
Or, if he carried them outside the car, maybe they caused increase drag and affected his gasoline mileage.

If this is a relatively small amount of money, pay it and get your clothes back. Then, REMEMBER that he did this to you in the future. Simply, this is NOT worth the cost and time of litigation (if that is what you are considering).

H

hmmbrdzz

Paul: If you feel you don't owe this money to your step son for return of your belongings, your really do not have to pay him anything to get your belongings back. If you or your wife are (or expect to become) dependent on him for anything in your future, you should especially be careful in paying him anything for exchange of your property, as this could be his attempts to exploit you as an elderly person. I'm not saying it is his attempt to do so -- I'm saying you need to provide more info before I will advise you.

hmmbrdzz

JETX

"If you feel you don't owe this money to your step son for return of your belongings, your really do not have to pay him anything to get your belongings back."
** How do you propose he get the belongings back.... break into the guys house!!!

"be careful in paying him anything for exchange of your property, as this could be his attempts to exploit you as an elderly person."
** I disagree. This is simply a childish issue (pay for gas for transporting clothes!!) and I really don't see anyway that it can be perceived to lead to 'elderly abuse' or exploitation.... that is simply too extreme for the information we have to date.

Pay the little dweeb his 'hostage money' (if a reasonable amount) and get your property back. This is simply NOT worth the ordeal of taking any other action. Just be sure to remind him that you will NOT forget what he has done......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">