• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet Sitting - Owner will not pick up dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericas5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My daughter and I agreed to pet sit for an acquaintance of her's 9 weeks ago. The agreement was for 2 weeks. We keep attempting contact with the owner, when he does call or text back he consistently makes up excuses as to why he can't pick up his dog that day, or says he will pick it up and doesn't show up.

The dog had a massive ear infection when he came here, it took 2 weeks just to get the owner to bring antibiotics and drops, which he only brought half of the supply. That was the only time he came to visit his dog.

We were under the impression that he may not initiate the act of giving up the dog, but would accept an offer if someone was willing to take him. My mother would love to adopt the dog and we have mentioned that to the owner several times but he keeps saying he will pick him up this day or that day, yet never shows.

Now at 9 weeks - can I legally give the dog away?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My daughter and I agreed to pet sit for an acquaintance of her's 9 weeks ago. The agreement was for 2 weeks. We keep attempting contact with the owner, when he does call or text back he consistently makes up excuses as to why he can't pick up his dog that day, or says he will pick it up and doesn't show up.

The dog had a massive ear infection when he came here, it took 2 weeks just to get the owner to bring antibiotics and drops, which he only brought half of the supply. That was the only time he came to visit his dog.

We were under the impression that he may not initiate the act of giving up the dog, but would accept an offer if someone was willing to take him. My mother would love to adopt the dog and we have mentioned that to the owner several times but he keeps saying he will pick him up this day or that day, yet never shows.

Now at 9 weeks - can I legally give the dog away?

Write a letter, send it certified return receipt requested:

Dear Mr. Pet Schmuck,

We have been pet sitting Fifi dog for the last nine weeks, when we had agreed to only do so for two. Our several attempts to contact you about picking up Fifi have been unsuccessful.
As a result, we can no longer care for said animal and if you have not picked up the dog by XX/XX/XXXX at 5 p.m., we will either give her to a good home, or bring her to the animal shelter, at our discretion.

Have a nice day.

Ericas5

Silverplum

I sincerely apologize that all I could think of when I read your post was "Seinfeld" when he got stuck sitting the dog Farfel. Farfel's owner didn't come to pick him up for a long time, also...till it was almost too late. ;)

justalayman

I sincerely apologize that all I could think of when I read your post was "Seinfeld" when he got stuck sitting the dog Farfel. Farfel's owner didn't come to pick him up for a long time, also...till it was almost too late. ;)
that's better that what I was thinking. I was thinking of adding a PS

ps.
the folks from the Viet Namese restaurant down the street have been very interested in Fifi. I am fearful that if you do not act quickly, she may be invited down there for dinner, and not as a guest.:eek:

CSO286

that's better that what I was thinking. I was thinking of adding a PS

ps.
the folks from the Viet Namese restaurant down the street have been very interested in Fifi. I am fearful that if you do not act quickly, she may be invited down there for dinner, and not as a guest.:eek:
I love that!!!!!!

JAL--you are my hero for today!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">