• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petit larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ansiebold

What is the name of your state? New York

I was arrested for taking about $140 worth of merchandise from a department store last week (my first offense). I have already appeared in court once and was told by the judge to seek legal advice for my case. The problem is that I am returning home to Ohio (I'm a college student) this weekend and I cannot afford a lawyer. I have all the information about public defense, but it says that if the defendant is under 21 (I'm 20), a parent or guardian must be present in order to receive help. If I represent myself (I know, I know - it's a bad idea), is there any chance of receiving an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal? What do I have to do in order to make this an option for myself?

H

hexeliebe

The things you haven't said

carry more weight here than what you have said. Have you contacted the store or the store's attorney, the prosecuting attorney or anyone involved in the case and asked if the possibility to offer restitution with probabtion in the case?

Have you asked the judge for a postponement in the case until you can consult with your parents about legal representation?

Are you even allowed to leave the jurisdiction?

Until you know these things you may be compounding your situation by leaving to go home because without permission of the court you may be creating more legal problems for yourself.

See if you can work something out with the prosecuting attorney to pay restitution. They will probably put you on probation until the monies (including court costs) are repaid but at least you'll have taken responsibility for your actions and the courts look more favorably on someone who works to repay their debt.

By the way, for this to happen you'll have to plead guilty to the charges. If your intent is to fight them, good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">