• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petit Larceny Charge- NYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FuzzyBunny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYS

I have been charged with petit larceny for $77 worth of items. What can I expect at my arraignment in a few weeks? This is the first time I have EVER been in trouble. Should I contact the DA's office prior to my arraignment? I don't even know what to say and feel like I'll mess it all up.

Also do you know if I could possibly lose my NYS teaching license becuase of this charge? I am currently working as a tutor and I have a meeting with my superintendent this morning, and I am sick to my stomach about it.

I appreciate the help.

FlyingRon

You need a lawyer. The prosecutor is probably disinclined to talk to you directly.

You can be dismissed from your position.
Your teacher's license can be in jeopardy, though it appears that it's not an automatic thing in NYS. You should be talking to your Union legal assistance if you're represented by such there.

FuzzyBunny

can do

I obviously need a public defender, who should I contact for that?

Where did you find the info about the license thing? I have googled all morning, to no avail.

Thank you

Banned_Princess

I obviously need a public defender, who should I contact for that?

Where did you find the info about the license thing? I have googled all morning, to no avail.

Thank you
You get a PD at arraignment, you will ask for one in court, and if you make too little for a lawyer, then one will be provided to you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Important question: where did this take place?

A crime like this in New York City will not be taken as seriously as in a small town or village.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">