• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petit larceny? someone help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teddyxstar

What is the name of your state? NC

ok about 2 months ago i stole my ex-step sister's wallet out of her purse in a class we have together just to get back at her for strong differences and disliking we have towards one another. also, 2 weeks ago, my friend was going through the wallet and found a card with her cell phone number on it. my friend called the cell phone and left threatening messages on her voice mail, and also reading off to her everything that was in the wallet (SS #, all info on her driver's permit, movie ticket tubs, ect.). earlier this week, my friend and i both recieved visits from a local police captian saying that my ex-step sister and her father had come to him with the issue and wanted to press charges against the both of us; my friend with treaths, myself with larceny. i gave the wallet to the cop to return to my ex-step sister, though. the cop said that if they wanted, my ex-step sister could still press charges against the both of us.

does anyone know what would happen or if this would even go to court, seeing how it was just a wallet and everything in it while stolen was still in there when returned?

i am 17 years old, have a clean record, and i did not intend on this happening, and i want nothing to happen from this. but just if it does, does anyone know the procedures that will be taken from this?

someone please help me. im going crazy dwelling on this immature stunt i have pulled.

JETX

"does anyone know what would happen"
*** Presumably, you could face criminal charges in juvenile court.
Your subject line says "petit larceny", however, NC apparently no longer has that classification.
"§ 14-70. Distinctions between grand and petit larceny abolished; punishment; accessories to larceny.
All distinctions between petit and grand larceny are abolished. Unless otherwise provided by statute, larceny is a
Class H felony and is subject to the same rules of criminal procedure and principles of law as to accessories before and after the fact as other felonies"

Last edited:
R

Ramoth

So, if someone stole my car, and returned it two weeks later with a full tank of gas, that wasn't theft?

T

teddyxstar

well i think there's a big difference in a wallet and a car, right? i don't think that a stolen then returned wallet is as huge a deal as a stolen then returned car.
i dont know.
this is screwing up everything, over a wallet... :(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Just a wallet" is a very big deal, my friend. People keep all their personal information that could, if lost, result in identity theft, in their wallet, and identity theft is something that could ruin a person's life for years. Just because you didn't do anything with the information does not mean that it was okay for you to take it.

T

teddyxstar

i completely understand what you've said. what do you think will happen to me if they decide to take this to court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">